• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Question Formal Medical Letter of Complaint

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to write a formal letter of complaint, all i want is to make the management aware of what happened and to emphasize the seriousness of the following matter.

(I don't have the exact dates or names of the personel yet) but this is the story...

A while ago, my grandma (who lives in elderly home) was injected with insulin due to her diabetes problem. But this junior nurse had injected a lesser dosage which was completely fine. However, after lunch and exercise, my grandma was asked by a senior nurse to do another injection to meet the daily required amount. My grandma then experienced dizziness and started puking. After some basic research and asking around with my relatives, they should not have done the 2nd injection after the exercise.

[It actually leads to another story, how my grandma got her wallet stolen cuz she puked all over her clothes and forgot to take it out of her pants as the staff was going to clean the dirty clothes while my granny was puking and feeling dizzy, this is just a side story, i don't know how im going to do about this probably to file a police report, please let me know if you guys have heard or experienced similar situations]

In addition to that, I asked one of my friends who is in law studies. She mentioned that this is about medical negligence. My granny is under the nursing home's care, the nurse, doc and the care home as a whole owe a duty of care for her. Doesn't even matter if the nurse is junior or not, they are all held to the same level of standard, which is a professional standard all nursing home nurses are required.

Please help and thank you for your time, really appreciate it.

Tim

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Formal Medical Letter of Complaint

Quote Originally Posted by timothysham View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping to write a formal letter of complaint, all i want is to make the management aware of what happened and to emphasize the seriousness of the following matter.

(I don't have the exact dates or names of the personel yet) but this is the story...

A while ago, my grandma (who lives in elderly home) was injected with insulin due to her diabetes problem. But this junior nurse had injected a lesser dosage which was completely fine. However, after lunch and exercise, my grandma was asked by a senior nurse to do another injection to meet the daily required amount. My grandma then experienced dizziness and started puking. After some basic research and asking around with my relatives, they should not have done the 2nd injection after the exercise.

[It actually leads to another story, how my grandma got her wallet stolen cuz she puked all over her clothes and forgot to take it out of her pants as the staff was going to clean the dirty clothes while my granny was puking and feeling dizzy, this is just a side story, i don't know how im going to do about this probably to file a police report, please let me know if you guys have heard or experienced similar situations]

In addition to that, I asked one of my friends who is in law studies. She mentioned that this is about medical negligence. My granny is under the nursing home's care, the nurse, doc and the care home as a whole owe a duty of care for her. Doesn't even matter if the nurse is junior or not, they are all held to the same level of standard, which is a professional standard all nursing home nurses are required.

Please help and thank you for your time, really appreciate it.

Tim
    You probably don't have much of a case unless your grandmother sustained a permanent injury. Did your friend explain that to you? I'd be more concerned about her wallet.
    Anyhow, if you just want to let management know what happened, the above would suffice as an initial letter. They'll probably invite you in to discuss your concerns. The nurses probably have some legal obligation to look after her wallet as well.
    If you can, try to see the manager in person.