Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

The authors of the research raised a caution of adopting the GOLD5 definition of COPD in old age patient, which would result in an over diagnosis of COPD.

Could anyone please tell me what does this mean? "raise a caution"
and the rest of the sentence: would result in an over diagnosis of COPD. I just can't understand it.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

The authors of the research raised a caution of adopting the GOLD5 definition of COPD in old age patient, which would result in an over diagnosis of COPD.

and the rest of the sentence: would result in an over diagnosis of COPD. I just can't understand it.

Thanks

Where did you find this? It's very badly written.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Thanks

The "caution" is a warning that applying this definition of COPD to older patients would lead to diagnosing COPD in patients that do not have the disease.

I would rephrase the sentence. "The authors of the paper/article cautioned against applying the GOLD5 definition of COPD to old-age patients because it would result in overdiagnosis of COPD in that group."

Status
Not open for further replies.