• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived

I can't understand the meaning of this sentence: "It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived"

Two sentences preceding and following above sentence -
    "She said this to him not without some disdain. It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived. And he remembered his brother, suddenly turning cold to his education, just as her daughter had."

Context -
    He and her wife is now separated for a long time now. Her daughter is living with him. When her mother was living with them, she saw that her mother was busy with her(mother) studies and her father busy with his work. As she (daughter) grew up she completed her schooling and then told her father she is not interested to pursue a higher education, and she said it with some disdain.

Please help me to find out the meaning of this sentence - "It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived

Quote Originally Posted by Man_From_India View Post
    Please help me to find out the meaning of this sentence - "It was the closest she came to rejecting how both her parents lived"
    She did not overtly reject the way in which they lived, but the way she expressed her view on her own higher education made her feelings pretty clear.

I once saw Margaret Thatcher going into a shop in Bedford. That's the closest I have ever come to meeting a Prime Minister. = I have never met a Prime Minister.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 24-Nov-2013 at 15:40. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

While she was growing up, she saw that all her mother's time was taken up with studies and all her father's time was taken up with work. Presumably, this didn't leave much time for family life. After completing her education, she decided that she didn't want to follow the same path as her parents. She didn't completely reject her parents' chosen lifestyle (for a start, she completed her schooling) but she did decide not to go into a challenging and time-consuming job. When she told her father this, she said it with a tone of disdain which would have suggested to her father that she disapproved of the situation in which she was brought up. She didn't do anything else to show her parents how she felt about their choices so telling her father this with a tone of disdain was "the closest she came to rejecting to rejecting how her parents had lived". She did not do anything which came closer to rejecting their lifestyles.

Edit: And in the time it took me to write that convoluted post, 5jj explained it all perfectly in two short sentences!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Now I believe what is my real problem is. I am clear about the sentence. But am not certain about the meaning of "reject" in this sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

They presumably valued education and wanted her to continue studying, and she doesn't want to do that, so she is rejecting their values and ideas.