Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hi, Do I need to use a before nice response. I feel response is uncountable noun like help. So I need to drop a but I searched in google it seems I am wrong. Please help me with this.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Do I need to use a before nice response. I feel response is uncountable noun like help. So I need to drop a but I searched in google it seems I am wrong. Please help me with this.

"Response" is not like "help". We can have many "responses", but not many "helps".

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much. Gauri

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. Do I need to use "a" before "nice response"? I feel "response" is an uncountable noun like "help" so I need to drop "a" but I searched in Google and it seems I am wrong. Please help me with this.

Please see my amendments to your post above in red. It is important that you mark out the words/phrases that you are querying in some way so that we can work out which words you are having problems with.

You said "I feel 'response' is an uncountable noun". Why are you relying on your feelings? You can check any noun in a variety of dictionaries and you will find out if the noun is countable or uncountable. This is a great one: One Look Dictionary

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You said "I feel 'response' is an uncountable noun". Why are you relying on your feelings? You can check any noun in a variety of dictionaries and you will find out if the noun is countable or uncountable. This is a great one: One Look Dictionary
Nice response!

Status
Not open for further replies.