Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is there any way one could use, whatever the register, the words "girl" and "man" uncountably in a sentence like this?

"I could be girl, unless you want to be man."

After all, in certain cases, you can use countable nouns without articles (or any other determiner, for that matter). As far as I recall, you can use this when talking about ideas (as Plato defined them in Platonic theory of ideas), not about the usual countable nouns as we all know them from our everyday lives. What do you think, is it this case? Is it even true that you can use countables like that?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is there any way one could use, whatever the register, the words "girl" and "man" uncountably in a sentence like this?

"I could be girl, unless you want to be man."

After all, in certain cases, you can use countable nouns without articles (or any other determiner, for that matter). As far as I recall, you can use this when talking about ideas (as Plato defined them in Platonic theory of ideas), not about the usual countable nouns as we all know them from our everyday lives. What do you think, is it this case? Is it even true that you can use countables like that?

"I could be girl, unless you want to be man." This makes no sense.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can use 'man', as in 'humankind'. "Man first developed iron tools in XXXXBC".
I can't think of a use for 'girl' in that way. Also, 'Man' in this case is not a Platonic ideal, but a real historical entity.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"I could be girl, unless you want to be man." This makes no sense.
Not even if we consider "girl" and "man" to be Platonic ideals? Something in the sense of "I could be female, unless you want to be male"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not even if we consider "girl" and "man" to be Platonic ideals? Something in the sense of "I could be female, unless you want to be male"?

"Female" and "male" are adjectives in your sentence so they work. "Girl" and "man" are nouns so they don't.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Female" and "male" are adjectives in your sentence so they work. "Girl" and "man" are nouns so they don't.

Yeah. So there's no way, in any context imaginable where the sentence would work? I admit that I took it from song lyrics, but that doesn't make it wrong I daresay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Song lyrics are probably the most grammatically incorrect forms of English imaginable in many respects. I can't make an argument grammatically for your original sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott