• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

How to make it good English?

“If the U.S. government continues with its irresponsible dilatory approach over its debt disease, there will be a day when Uncle Sam busts his borrowing limit while the groaning U.S. economy drifting far beyond redemption,” said the not always perfectly fluent English-language commentary. “In fact, self-salvation lies within

The quote is not perfectly fluent as it says. So how to make it perfectly fluent?

Your help will be appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: How to make it good English?

I would say "busts" sounds like a sour note and should be "bursts." Also maybe "drifting" should be "drifts." If it were my sentiment, I would drop the adjective "far" as overstating and hence weakening the point -- the same with the words "irresponsible" and "groaning."

A remark about the use of "busts" here -- I like it as a way of strengthening the emotion and if the intent were ironic it would be perfect. To get respect though it fails.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: How to make it good English?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
    I would say "busts" sounds like a sour note and should be "bursts." Also maybe "drifting" should be "drifts." If it were my sentiment, I would drop the adjective "far" as overstating and hence weakening the point -- the same with the words "irresponsible" and "groaning."

A remark about the use of "busts" here -- I like it as a way of strengthening the emotion and if the intent were ironic it would be perfect. To get respect though it fails.
    I'm thinking the author used a lot of big words, and "drifting far beyond redemption" sounds so confused. I think "drifts away from" is better." I would say "remains reckless and dilatory over..." instead of "continues with its irresponsible dilatory approach over..."

Maybe what I proposed is also not perfectly good English, but it at least sounds more concise.
    Last edited by michael147; 29-Nov-2013 at 10:05.