Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Hello,

Do you think this is a correct phrasing "The biggest concern has been demonstrated at the local level, following a NIMBYism (Not In My Backyard) attitude, as for instance the reluctance to accept wind turbines in the nearby geographical area."
Is it correct to say "nearby geographical area"?

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forums.

It's not wrong grammatically, but doesn't feel right. Try to write it more plainly: near where they live.

The sentence is quite long and might be better as two sentences.

I'm not sure we can "following an attitude" though you can manifest it or demonstrate it.

In the future, please use a phrase from your sentence as your thread title. A lot of people have questions about correct phrasing, but you could have called this "nearby geographical area" for example.

But thank you very much for using correct punctuation, capitalization, and not confusing the forum with a text message!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Do you think this is a correct phrasing "The biggest concern has been demonstrated at the local level, following a NIMBYism (Not In My Backyard) attitude, as for instance the reluctance to accept wind turbines in the nearby geographical area."
Is it correct to say "nearby geographical area"?

Thank you

I don't think it is necessary to use "NIMBYism there. The simpler "NIMBY" would work there.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think it is necessary to use "NIMBYism there. The simpler "NIMBY" would work there.
In any case, as it's used here as an adjective, it would need to be 'NIMBYist'. But I agree, "NIMBY attitude" is sufficient.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In any case, as it's used here as an adjective, it would need to be 'NIMBYist'. But I agree, "NIMBY attitude" is sufficient.

The original used a noun as an attributive adjective. I did the same with a simpler version.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The original used a noun as an attributive adjective. I did the same with a simpler version.
I took that into account and still considered 'NIMBYism' wrong as the adjective by analogy to every other -ism that forms the adjective with -ist.

Status
Not open for further replies.