Student or Learner
I've been asked to suggest a few tasks for a reading lesson. Three top-down and three bottom-up.
As far as I know, top-down is when students use what they already know about the world to read. Bottom-up is where they look at the words on the page to read. So, could you look at my ideas and check them or suggest some others? I'm especially unsure of bottom-up reading activities.
1) Skim read - look quickly over the text to get a general idea of it.
2) Scan read - find specific information in the text you were looking for
3) Predict - Look at the title of a newspaper and guess what the article will include
1) Collocations - give students a list of words and ask them to find the collocations
2) Word meaning - look at the highlighted words and work out their meaning from the words around it.
3) Read aloud - give students a short text to read aloud.
One problem with reading aloud is that people rarely absorb much of the text because they're concentrating on their pronunciation.