Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 13
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    unsure about the subjects

    Dear teachers,
    I'm unsure about the subjects in the sentences below. which one is more acceptable or both are? Thank you in advance.

    1. The tree is so big that it needs 10 people to encircle its trunk.
    2. The tree is so big that its trunk needs 10 people to encircle.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: unsure about the subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by bean066 View Post
    Dear teachers,
    I'm unsure about the subjects in the sentences below. which one is more acceptable or both are? Thank you in advance.

    1. The tree is so big that it needs 10 people to encircle its trunk.
    2. The tree is so big that its trunk needs 10 people to encircle.
    Of the two, I would choose the first. The second doesn't work.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 13
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: unsure about the subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Of the two, I would choose the first. The second doesn't work.
    I see, thank you very much.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 13
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: unsure about the subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Of the two, I would choose the first. The second doesn't work.
    another try of mine: The tree is so big that its trunk reqires 10 people to encircle. how about that?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: unsure about the subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by bean066 View Post
    another try of mine: The tree is so big that its trunk reqires 10 people to encircle. how about that?
    That is fine with "it" at the end. Capitalize the "A" in "Another" and the "H" in "How". Change "reqires" to "requires".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 13
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: unsure about the subjects

    Thank you. I'll pay more attention on details.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Unsure of grammer ussage.
    By toshim in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2012, 07:38
  2. Unsure how to explain this
    By Nerrad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2008, 16:14
  3. unsure
    By Maite Brinkman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2007, 22:13
  4. Unsure about my take on this sentence...
    By Noego in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 03:18
  5. unsure word
    By viane in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2007, 07:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •