• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Even bigger numbers donít

Do you think this "even" means "a lot /still" like emphasizing comparatives or "Also", the original meaning?
    4)Humans, like most animals, have a strong preference for immediate reward over delayed reward. If you offer me $10 today or $11 tomorrow, Iíll probably say Iíd rather have the $10 today,Ē says Zweig. Even bigger numbers donít seem to make a difference. Financial experts like me routinely use what if scenarios to try to encourage people to save more and at a younger age. Youíve heard us say that if at age 20, you put aside $100 a month earning 8 percent interest, youíd have $525,454 at retirement. If you waited until you were 30 to begin, youíd have only $229,388. Yes, the examples are striking, but by Zweigís logic, they probably arenít very effective. ďA reward you get in the

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Even bigger numbers donít

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Do you think this "even" means "a lot /still" like emphasizing comparatives or "Also", the original meaning?
    4)Humans, like most animals, have a strong preference for immediate reward over delayed reward. If you offer me $10 today or $11 tomorrow, I’ll probably say I’d rather have the $10 today,” says Zweig. Even bigger numbers don’t seem to make a difference. Financial experts like me routinely use what if scenarios to try to encourage people to save more and at a younger age. You’ve heard us say that if at age 20, you put aside $100 a month earning 8 percent interest, you’d have $525,454 at retirement. If you waited until you were 30 to begin, you’d have only $229,388. Yes, the examples are striking, but by Zweig’s logic, they probably aren’t very effective. “A reward you get in the
    "Even bigger numbers" means numbers that are even greater than the $10 or $11 mentioned previously. Have a look at this definition of "even": even adverb (EMPHASIS) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I disagree. I think he's saying "this doesn't change even when the numbers are bigger."

Maybe the difference of $1 isn't a big deal. I don't care much about $1. But I should care a LOT about $300,000. I may rather give up $1 to have something today, but if I were logical, I should be willing to do something to get $300,000!

But the fact that this number is much, much bigger doesn't change my behavior. It's the same, even when the number is bigger. Even bigger numbers don't change the way I think.

(I would have rewritten the passage to avoid this ambuiguity.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What about odd bigger numbers?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    What about odd bigger numbers?
    Nah. If you offered me £11 or £115, it wouldn't make any difference!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.