• Post Thanks / Like

Full Stops and the word "She"

Hi there,

I have always been taught not to start a sentence with"She" what are the rules surrounding this?
    See example:

Caroline felt the friction amongst her team was caused by the lack of communication recieved from management. She also said communications such as team movements and employee departures were never formally communicated.

I would personally replace the full stop with a comma.

Please help.

Kind Regards,

Amanda Jayne

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Stops and the word "She"

Beginning a sentence with "She" is perferctly fine; however, given the context you've provided, it'd be best to keep Caroline present. Using "She" (a pronoun that expresses, the person not present during the conversation) places Caroline in the background, outside the conversation.

P.S. I'd be better to replace the full stop with a semi-colon. Wouldn't want to have a run-on sentence. A comma would work if there were more sentences; e.g., X, Y, and Z.

All the best, Amanda, and welcome.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Stops and the word "She"

Were you really taught never to begin a sentence with "she", or were you taught not to start lots of sentences with the same word?

There's no grammatical reason for banning the use of a personal pronoun at the beginning of a sentence. The following, however, is just bad style:

Caroline got up at 7 o'clock. She brushed her teeth and had a shower. She had breakfast. She went to work on the 8.30 bus and arrived at 8.55. She had an argument with her boss...

That doesn't mean you should never start a sentence with "she"; it means you shouldn't always start a sentence with "she".