• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

psychic capital

Hello,

I have some questions. What does it exactly mean when saying that "either they never knew what they really want to do or they've spent so much time in doing what they have to do and invested so much "psychic captial" that they are completely lost without it."

From the Wikipedia, "psychic capital" is the accumulation of one's desirable mental states, which could be memories of pleasure, success, achievement, recognition, and the desire to add to psychic capital is likely to be a powerful motivating force. Exchanges involving increases or decreases of psychic capital are likely to occur at any time, either through decision or through the turn of events.

So what "completely lost without it" here means. Do they feel no confident at all about what to do if they no longer desire anything?

Thank you, Beeja

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: psychic capital

Hello beeja,
    You have made a typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    "either they never knew what they really want to do or they've spent so much time in doing what they have to do and invested so much "psychic capital captial" that they are completely lost without it."
    Psychic capital: desirable mental states (pleasure, success, achievement, recognition)

either they never knew what they really want to do = they were confused and didn't know what to do [they didn't really know what to do]
    they've spent so much time in doing what they have to do = they have planned much time on doing something
    invested so much "psychic capital" that they are completely lost without it = they have gained so much desirable mental states that they are completely lost without them. [if they ignore the "psychic capital" (desirable mental states), they will fail.]
    lost without it (them) = lost without the desirable mental states. [failed without it (them)]

I wish you could give us a source and say to us that where you found the text and what the text was about.
    Without much context or source, it's a little difficult to analyze it.

(I'm not a teacher)
    Last edited by alex_genius_20; 06-Dec-2013 at 11:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Actually the text I read is just a part of the original content. I searched the internet and found that this paragraph is from Randy Komisar's book, The Monk and the Riddle, talking about the deferred life plan:

For the promise of full coverage under the Deferred Life Plan, you must divide your life into two distinct parts:

Step one: Do what you have to do.
    Then, eventually—
    Step two: Do what you want to do.

We hear variations on this theme from childhood on: Walk before you run. No peas, no pie. Pay your dues. Or, perhaps in the case of Jack Dolan, as Lenny saw him, work, then retire —assuming you live long enough to retire — and then devote your time to your passion.

The Deferred Life Plan certainly dominates Silicon Valley. Most people think getting rich fast provides the quickest way to get past the first step – and where can you get rich faster than Silicon Valley? The problem is that, despite the undisguised affluence, the verdant hills, and media-generated mythos, the vast majority of people in Silicon Valley will not get rich. Most business ideas do not find funding. Even the majority of those that are funded – that is, vetted by very smart people who think enough of the ideas to invest in them – ultimately fail. And the lucky winners may get to step two only to find themselves aimless, directionless. Either they never knew what they “really” wanted to do or they’ve spent so much time in the first step and invested so much psychic capital that they’re completely lost without it.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In simple terms, people put too much of their mental energy into doing that things they MUST do. Then when they finally have a chance to do what they WANT to do, they are mentally exhausted. They don't know what to do with that "you must do this" push.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.