Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If there is a sign saying "No Soliciting" in front of a supermarket, what does it mean?

alex_genius_20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If there is a sign saying "No Soliciting" in front of a supermarket, what does it mean?
It exists but it's more an American than a British sign.
In that context, it means: to try to sell a product or service by taking it to homes or businesses and showing it to the people there. The sign is may be usually used in boutiques.
(In British English it usually means "no looking for business")

(I'm not a teacher)

alex_genius_20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I was wondering if it's related to prostitutes or selling products.
herbivorie, it depends on a context. I don't think it refers to prostitutes if you have seen it in a supermarket or a boutique.
Context is important. Without enough context related to your question, you won't get a proper answer.
It is another way of saying "No salespeople" so don't come in trying to sell advertising, insurance,gym memberships, or anything else!

Last edited:

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I know context is important, but in this case, the only context is that I saw such a sign in front of a supermarket in the US, which I already wrote. The sign didn't say anything else.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sign is commonly seen in the US at housing developments, apartment blocks, stores, hotels etc.

In the BE the AE 'solicitors' are 'cold callers'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The idea is that people who want to sell gym memberships, insurance, etc. know that people go to the grocery store. They don't have to go knock on door after door; they can sit and wait for people to walk past them. However, this is annoying to customers, so the stores say "You can't do that here. You cannot solicit our customers for business on our property."

The exceptions are various charities - grocery stores usually allow those little girl crack dealers (by "crack" I mean, Girl Scout cookies, which I find just as addicting), the Salvation Army, etc.

It has NOTHING to do with prostitution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.