• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

"Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine.

"Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine.

I have reported the speech as follows. Which verb should I use? Thanks.

Mr Smith shouted to Catherine not to come/go to school without her schoolbag again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherin

Come.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherin

Context is everything! If we assume "Mr. Smith" is Catherine's teacher/principal, 'come' is correct. If we assume "Mr. Smith" is not associated with the school, "go" is correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Amigos4 View Post
    Context is everything! If we assume "Mr. Smith" is Catherine's teacher/principal, 'come' is correct. If we assume "Mr. Smith" is not associated with the school, "go" is correct.
    "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine. (Thanks, Amigos. I cannot imagine that Mr Smith is not related to the school in the context of my sentence.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It is so unlikely as to be almost impossible that Mr Smith is not connected to the school. If he were not on the school's premises, he would not have been able to say "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again". He would have said "Don't go to school without your schoolbag again". The wording of the sentence makes it clear that both Catherine and Mr Smith are currently at school when the dialogue takes place.

If Mr Smith had, for example, telephoned Catherine's mother at home and said "I am very angry. Catherine came to school without her schoolbag today", when Catherine got home from school, her mother would have said "Don't go to school without your schoolbag again. I had a very angry phone call from Mr Smith earlier".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.