"Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine.

I have reported the speech as follows. Which verb should I use? Thanks.

Mr Smith shouted to Catherine not to come/go to school without her schoolbag again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherin

Come.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherin

Context is everything! If we assume "Mr. Smith" is Catherine's teacher/principal, 'come' is correct. If we assume "Mr. Smith" is not associated with the school, "go" is correct.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Context is everything! If we assume "Mr. Smith" is Catherine's teacher/principal, 'come' is correct. If we assume "Mr. Smith" is not associated with the school, "go" is correct.
"Don't come to school without your schoolbag again!" shouted Mr Smith to Catherine. (Thanks, Amigos. I cannot imagine that Mr Smith is not related to the school in the context of my sentence.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It is so unlikely as to be almost impossible that Mr Smith is not connected to the school. If he were not on the school's premises, he would not have been able to say "Don't come to school without your schoolbag again". He would have said "Don't go to school without your schoolbag again". The wording of the sentence makes it clear that both Catherine and Mr Smith are currently at school when the dialogue takes place.

If Mr Smith had, for example, telephoned Catherine's mother at home and said "I am very angry. Catherine came to school without her schoolbag today", when Catherine got home from school, her mother would have said "Don't go to school without your schoolbag again. I had a very angry phone call from Mr Smith earlier".

Status
Not open for further replies.