• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

The real value of mock test

Hello, this is my first post and, like many other members of the forum, I've been an outsider from some time, mainly checking answered questions from other people.

I face a dichotomy here. The other day I did a sample of a CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) test. I got 78% at the reading, 66% at the use of English and 70% at the listening papers. I cannot mark my own writing nor speaking, obviously.

The fact is that I don't feel that much confident with my English, however looking at the marks that I got I would have pass it. Of course, if I didn't get low marks at the writing or speaking.

Giving this situation, do you think that I would be able, maybe with some help, to pass the real exam?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: The real value of mock test

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Yeah, and what if it goes all Chickenfoot - Down The Drain (Album Version Request) - YouTube ???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by salvador.dal1950 View Post
    Giving this situation, do you think that I would be able, maybe with some help, to pass the real exam?
    Yes, you should- those are good marks. Did you do the test under exam conditions?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

I'm afraid to say no. I did it in the comfort of my home. For instance, I did the listening with headphones, but in the real exam it's another thing.

I don't assist to any kind of English classes, mostly I taught myself with simple books and american TV shows. I notice that, besides the fact that CPE is British and they write "centre" instead of "center", it's much more academic and I am not used to deal with that type of English. It's all puffed up, pompous, abusing of adverbs and adjectives-well I'm drifting here.

I think it's a noble goal and if you think those are good marks, I'm going to keep on studying and see what happens.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm afraid to say no. I did it in the comfort of my home. For instance, I did the listening with headphones, but in the real exam it's another thing.

I don't assist to attend any kind of English classes, mostly I taught myself with simple books and American TV shows. I notice that, besides the fact that CPE is British and they write "centre" instead of "center", it's much more academic and I am not used to dealing with that type of English. It's all puffed up, pompous, abusing of adverbs and adjectives (space here) - ​(space here) well I'm drifting here.

I think it's a noble goal and if you think those are good marks, I'm going to keep on studying and see what happens.
    I'm intrigued. Can you give us some examples of the "puffed up, pompous, adverb- and adjective-abusing" language used in the test!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Try doing one in the time allowed and without consulting anything.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Thank you for the corrections! Duly noted.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating but I've come across words and expressions, until this point unknown to me. For instance, they write letters using expressions like:I am writing in response to...regarding...with a view to...to a certain extent...have come to believe...in order to be able to...and throwing a lot of adverbs in the middle. To a guy who learned English watching Conan O'Brien and David Letterman they sound weird, pompous weird. Although, now I know that that is proper English, not the one I listen to on television.

(Please don't waste your time defining me the words I mentioned before, I have already done that)

As Tdol says, I'll do one in more rigid conditions.

Thanks for your time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Well, yes, if you learn your English from trash TV, then just about any decent English will sound pompous!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.