Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello, this is my first post and, like many other members of the forum, I've been an outsider from some time, mainly checking answered questions from other people.

I face a dichotomy here. The other day I did a sample of a CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) test. I got 78% at the reading, 66% at the use of English and 70% at the listening papers. I cannot mark my own writing nor speaking, obviously.

The fact is that I don't feel that much confident with my English, however looking at the marks that I got I would have pass it. Of course, if I didn't get low marks at the writing or speaking.

Giving this situation, do you think that I would be able, maybe with some help, to pass the real exam?

Thank you :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Giving this situation, do you think that I would be able, maybe with some help, to pass the real exam?

Yes, you should- those are good marks. Did you do the test under exam conditions?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'm afraid to say no. I did it in the comfort of my home. For instance, I did the listening with headphones, but in the real exam it's another thing.

I don't assist to any kind of English classes, mostly I taught myself with simple books and american TV shows. I notice that, besides the fact that CPE is British and they write "centre" instead of "center", it's much more academic and I am not used to deal with that type of English. It's all puffed up, pompous, abusing of adverbs and adjectives-well I'm drifting here.

I think it's a noble goal and if you think those are good marks, I'm going to keep on studying and see what happens.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm afraid to say no. I did it in the comfort of my home. For instance, I did the listening with headphones, but in the real exam it's another thing.

I don't [strike]assist to[/strike] attend any kind of English classes, mostly I taught myself with simple books and American TV shows. I notice that, besides the fact that CPE is British and they write "centre" instead of "center", it's much more academic and I am not used to dealing with that type of English. It's all puffed up, pompous, abusing of adverbs and adjectives (space here) - ​(space here) well I'm drifting here.

I think it's a noble goal and if you think those are good marks, I'm going to keep on studying and see what happens.

I'm intrigued. Can you give us some examples of the "puffed up, pompous, adverb- and adjective-abusing" language used in the test!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Try doing one in the time allowed and without consulting anything.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you for the corrections! Duly noted.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating but I've come across words and expressions, until this point unknown to me. For instance, they write letters using expressions like:I am writing in response to...regarding...with a view to...to a certain extent...have come to believe...in order to be able to...and throwing a lot of adverbs in the middle. To a guy who learned English watching Conan O'Brien and David Letterman they sound weird, pompous weird. Although, now I know that that is proper English, not the one I listen to on television.

(Please don't waste your time defining me the words I mentioned before, I have already done that)

As Tdol says, I'll do one in more rigid conditions.

Thanks for your time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, yes, if you learn your English from trash TV, then just about any decent English will sound pompous! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.