• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Strange question

Well, my friend has changed his nickname in online game to "THE SHIT" saying that it means something really cool. His statement is based on 3rd and 5th definitions of this word on urban dictionary (you can see it here: Urban Dictionary: the shit ).
    But I think that he's completely wrong, because with no context it means what it means :)

So, who's right?

p.s. Sorry if this word seems rude to you - I really need to know

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Strange question

Welcome to the forums, Holywar.

It would be unacceptable as a username on this forum, I think, but I can't imagine online gamers being outraged by this mildly offensive nickname.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

He may find he has to explain his name- it's ambiguous.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't think the question is whether or not other users of that game would find his username offensive. It think it's whether or not they will realise that he thinks that saying "I'm The Sh*t" means "I'm cool" or if they might think it means "I'm rubbish".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

All I want to say is that in my native language, there are words which also have different meanings depending on whether they're in context or not. And when I see such words, I can immediately tell you what they mean in that particular case, obviously, beacuse I feel my language perfectly.

So, I am asking you as native speakers: what comes to your mind first when you see a nickname "The Shit"?

There is one more thing I'd like to ask. It's about punctuation. I don't get it at all in English language. Let me explain why.

All, I want to say, is, that in my native language there are words, which also have different meanings, depending on whether they're in context or not. And, when I see such words, I can immediately tell you, what they mean in that particular case, obviously, beacuse I feel my language perfectly.

So, I am asking you as native speakers, what comes to your mind first, when you see a nickname "The Shit"?"
    ^
    That's the russian way to do it in this bunch of sentences. It's completely clear and reasonable to me, but I know that it's totally wrong in English. I don't see the logic in how you guys put your commas and other stuff :D
    Can you help me with it? Where can I find a good (and not very long) explanation of punctuation in English? Or I'd be even better, if you just gave me right here some basic rules of it.
    Hope, I'm not bothering you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by Holywar View Post
    So, I am asking you as native speakers: what comes to your mind first when you see a nickname "The Shit"?
    Unpleasant individual (and not someone cool).
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 08-Dec-2013 at 20:53. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you're looking for a short explanation of punctuation in English, you'll be disappointed.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

All I want to say is that in my native language, there are words which also have different meanings depending on whether they're in context or not. And when I see such words, I can immediately tell you what they mean in that particular case, obviously, beacuse I feel my language perfectly.

There is one more thing I'd like to ask. It's about punctuation. I don't get it at all in English language. Let me explain why.

^
    That's the russian way to do it in this bunch of sentences. It's completely clear and reasonable to me, but I know that it's totally wrong in English. I don't see the logic in how you guys put your commas and other stuff :D
    Can you help me with it? Where can I find a good (and not very long) explanation of punctuation in English? Or I'd be even better, if you just gave me right here some basic rules of it.
    Hope, I'm not bothering you very much!
    Because this is a game site, what came to my mind was "the best/the greatest". Comma use in English is often a matter of style. However, some commas are clearly wrong. They break up a sentence and separate key words from one another. I have colored the commas that are clearly wrong in your second version.

All, I want to say, is, that in my native language there are words, which also have different meanings, depending on whether they're in context or not. And, when I see such words, I can immediately tell you, what they mean in that particular case, obviously, beacuse I feel my language perfectly.

So, I am asking you as native speakers, what comes to your mind first, when you see a nickname "The Shit"?"
    Last edited by MikeNewYork; 09-Dec-2013 at 00:36. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I don't see the logic in how you guys put your commas and other stuff.
    Click here to read 'Punctuation for Dummies' (no offence).