• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

article "the"

Hi All,

I am working hard to understand the usage of an article "The". I am speaking English for past 10 years but still very confused. Please correct the usage of "the" in the following sentences :
    2. I get up in the morning. ( I feel its wrong as I am talking in general about mornings)
    2. An apple a day keeps the doctor away ( I feel it should be "a" as there is no special doctor I am talking about here)
    4. I cannot understand how the person like him can become president. ( I feel it is correct as I am talking about a special person who is like him)
    5. If you do that again, I'll send you to a principal. ( I feel it should be "the" here as Principal is a special person in school )

Please help me in understanding the usage of "the". Thanks, Gauri

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: article "the"

Quote Originally Posted by gauri_agr View Post
    Hi All,

I am working hard to understand the usage of an article "The". I am speaking English for past 10 years but still very confused. Please correct the usage of "the" in the following sentences :
    2. I get up in the morning. ( I feel its wrong as I am talking in general about mornings)
    2. An apple a day keeps the doctor away ( I feel it should be "a" as there is no special doctor I am talking about here)
    4. I cannot understand how the person like him can become president. ( I feel it is correct as I am talking about a special person who is like him)
    5. If you do that again, I'll send you to a principal. ( I feel it should be "the" here as Principal is a special person in school )

Please help me in understanding the usage of "the". Thanks, Gauri
    2. "The" is correct. It is a particular time of day.
    3. That is a fixed phrase with "the". We use "the" with doctor if it is our doctor.
    4. No. "The" is incorrect there. "A person like him" is any person who shares his characteristics.
    5. Bingo! In this case "the" is needed.