Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hello,pls answer me in advanced level,It has become a challenge for me,in difining relative clauses, Is it opssible to omit the relative rpronoun when it is the subject of relative clause? in the santence"i have a friend who teaches english" can we omit "who" and change the verb to continuous form"i have a friend teaching english" and what about sentences in other tences like past or present perfect?
please explain in detail and introduce a reference

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hello,pls answer me in advanced level,It has become a challenge for me,in difining relative clauses, Is it opssible to omit the relative rpronoun when it is the subject of relative clause? in the santence"i have a friend who teaches english" can we omit "who" and change the verb to continuous form"i have a friend teaching english" and what about sentences in other tences like past or present perfect?
please explain in detail and introduce a reference

You cannot omit a relative pronoun from a relative clause if it is the subject of the clause. In your example with the -ing form (which is a participle) you have shortened (reduced) the relative clause to a phrase.

See more here: Relative Clauses
and here: Reduction of Relative Clauses - GrammarBank

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please don't post the same question in two different forums, goldfish. It wastes the time of people who answer it in one forum only to discover that it has already beeen satisfactorily answered in another.

goldfish1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hello,I am sorry. But I did not get a proper answer from the other forum, I had to post it again here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
hello,I am sorry. But I did not get a proper answer from the other forum, I had to post it again here.
If you are not satisfied with the answer from one forum, please follow it up in that forum first. If you are still not satisfied, then try another forum, but say what sort of amswers you have already received.

Status
Not open for further replies.