Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Never mind that for Torstveit it's 3:00 A.M. body time.

In this sentence I couldn't get the meaning of body time. Does it mean the main part of his business?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This refers to the body's "circadian rhythm" which operates on a roughly 24 hour cycle, separately from the actual time in the outside world. It's also referred to as our "body clock". Our "body clock" is affected by light and dark, and so is normally synchronised with day and night times where we are in the world. When we move quickly to a different longitude - as in flying from Europe to the US, for example - our body clock continues to operate for some time on the local time in Europe. Thus, we may arrive in Los Angeles, where it's 4 PM, but our "body time" is telling us that it's midnight [London time] - and we should be in bed asleep! It will take several days of experiencing the changing times of daylight in Los Angeles for our body time to re-synchronise with local time. This phenomenon is popularly called "jet lag".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This refers to the body's "circadian rhythm" which operates on a roughly 24 hour cycle, separately from the actual time in the outside world. It's also referred to as our "body clock". Our "body clock" is affected by light and dark, and so is normally synchronised with day and night times where we are in the world. When we move quickly to a different longitude - as in flying from Europe to the US, for example - our body clock continues to operate for some time on the local time in Europe. Thus, we may arrive in Los Angeles, where it's 4 PM, but our "body time" is telling us that it's midnight [London time] - and we should be in bed asleep! It will take several days of experiencing the changing times of daylight in Los Angeles for our body time to re-synchronise with local time. This phenomenon is popularly called "jet lag".
Yes, because it was a sentence in a film I got after Mr. Torstveit's flight to Sri Lanka.
So, "Never mind that for Torstveit it's 3:00 A.M. body time." means that Mr. Torstveit has a problem in the new place after his flight. Because in his home town it is 3 AM now.
Did I get the point?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, because it was a sentence in a film I got after Mr. Torstveit's flight to Sri Lanka.
So, "Never mind that for Torstveit it's 3:00 A.M. body time." means that Mr. Torstveit has a problem in the new place after his flight. Because in his home town it is 3 AM now.
Did I get the point?

Yes. His body thinks it is 3 AM because that is what time it would be if he never traveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.