• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

I would like to express that

Hello, teachers. Continuing with my recently discovered taste for British expressions, I present to you a "lorry load" of questions. The sub indentations -if I may call it that way- are clarifications of what I'm trying to correct.

Questions

1. I would like to express that I am also concerned about the situation.
      • Can I lose the "that"? I cannot seem to understand when "that" is irrelevant or not.

2. The amount of cars that drive through the center of the town, is making it a mess to get to the place someone wants to go.
      • Is it correct the expression "trough the center of the town"?

3. In that way, we propose a new parking policy: to the people who choose to drive there, is required to buy a parking ticket.
      • I would prefer to maintain the structure with the colon, but I have my doubts that this sentence is grammatically correct.

4. My father used to gave me some money every Saturday. My mission, was to get to the other Saturday without having spent all of it.
      • I'm sniffing a grammatical mistake, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nuances

1. You have to enjoy the things that really matter in life.
      • Why is it "matter" and not "matters"?

2. unthoughtfully.
      • Does this adverb applies when talking about how someone spends his money? Someone could spend money unthoughtfully? Meaning he does not spend it carefully or intelligently, but not inconsiderately.

3. The value of the ticket.
      • This may sound rather silly, but can I say: "The ticket's value"? Is there any difference in the two? I ask this because in Spanish we don't have the structure "noun's" to indicate possession, so I tend to write, all the time, "the something of the noun".

Well, sorry for the long post. I tried to keep it organized so it would be easier for you guys to check it.

Tinkety tonk old fruits !!
    Last edited by salvador.dal1950; 13-Dec-2013 at 01:49.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I would like to express that

Quote Originally Posted by salvador.dal1950 View Post
    Hello, teachers. Continuing with my recently discovered taste for British expressions, I present to you a "lorry load" of questions. The sub indentations -if I may call it that way- are clarifications of what I'm trying to correct.

Questions

1. I would like to express that I am also concerned about the situation.
      • Can I lose the "that"? I cannot seem to understand when "that" is irrelevant or not.

2. The amount of cars that drive through the center of the town, is making it a mess to get to the place someone wants to go.
      • Is it correct the expression "trough the center of the town"?

3. In that way, we propose a new parking policy: to the people who choose to drive there, is required to buy a parking ticket.
      • I would prefer to maintain the structure with the colon, but I have my doubts that this sentence is grammatically correct.

4. My father used to gave me some money every Saturday. My mission, was to get to the other Saturday without having spent all of it.
      • I'm sniffing a grammatical mistake, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nuances

1. You have to enjoy the things that really matter in life.
      • Why is it "matter" and not "matters"?

2. unthoughtfully.
      • Does this adverb applies when talking about how someone spends his money? Someone could spend money unthoughtfully? Meaning he does not spend it carefully or intelligently, but not inconsiderately.

3. The value of the ticket.
      • This may sound rather silly, but can I say: "The ticket's value"? Is there any difference in the two? I ask this because in Spanish we don't have the structure "noun's" to indicate possession, so I tend to write, all the time, "the something of the noun".

Well, sorry for the long post. I tried to keep it organized so it would be easier for you guys to check it.

Tinkety tonk old fruits !!
    Q1. On can often delete "that" when it is used a conjunction. That depends mostly on the verb. I would not delete in your sentence because of the verb "express". If you use "say", I would delete the "that" but it would not be wrong to keep it.

Q2. "Through the center of the town" is fine, but "the: can be deleted before "town". I would change "amount" to "number" and "someone" to "one". There is no need for a comma after "town".

Q3. This sentence has a number of problems. Most importantly, this is not a "parking policy". If I understand your meaning, you want to stop people from driving in congested areas. Try rewording the sentence.

Q4. No comma after "mission". Change "other" to "next". The part in bold print is fine.

N1. You need a plural verb to agree with "things".

N2. I would not use "unthoughtfully". I would use "carelessly" or "thoughtlessly".

N3. Yes, you can say that. We have two genitive forms in English -- "X's" and "of X". They are often, but not always, interchangeable.

In the future, it would be better to ask separate questions in separate threads. One reason is that each question will have its own meaningful title.