Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's a situation for students to make up a dialogue in class.

A stranger comes up to you in the street asking to orient him. (He needs to get to the airport but seems to have lost his way.) Give him/her detailed directions.

Does the expression to orient somebody (in the city) sound natural in the above context? I used the following definition when making the situation:orient - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Here's a situation for students to make up a dialogue in class.

A stranger comes up to you in the street asking to orient him. (He needs to get to the airport but seems to have lost his way.) Give him/her detailed directions.

Does the expression to orient somebody (in the city) sound natural in the above context? I used the following definition when making the situation:orient - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

No, it's not natural, use "direct".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. That sounds very strange to me. I would say something like "A stranger comes up to you in the street asking for directions to the airport" or "A stranger comes up to you in the street and asks you to help him to get to the airport".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not natural. You don't really hear "orient" used as a verb often. I would say that somebody was looking for directions.

We do speak of "orientation" but that would be for a person new to a company or school, etc.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No, it's not natural, use "direct".
And when we speak about ourselves, is orient oneself also not to be used? Is the following example from the dictionary old-fashioned:

She looked at the street names, trying to orient herself.
?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And when we speak about ourselves, is orient oneself also not to be used? Is the following example from the dictionary old-fashioned:

She looked at the street names, trying to orient herself.
?

That is fine but "orienting yourself" means "to try to work out where you are right now". It doesn't mean "to get directions to another place".

Status
Not open for further replies.