Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I would like to know what does "low-test" mean here. Thank you.

"The rain was falling harder now, a thick mist against a white-gray sky, visible above the bare trees and high ridges. The engine idled, burning low-test, $2.59 a gallon. It was Easter Sunday. I was in West Virginia."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From the context, it sounds like a type of fuel. However, a Google search for "low-test fuel" revealed nothing useful. I'm afraid I can't help you on this one.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I would like to know what does "low-test" mean here. Thank you.

"The rain was falling harder now, a thick mist against a white-gray sky, visible above the bare trees and high ridges. The engine idled, burning low-test, $2.59 a gallon. It was Easter Sunday. I was in West Virginia."
It's about low test gasoline. Low test is so called because it has a low energy content when compared with higher grades of gasoline. Low rest gas is cheaper than other grades.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been a long time since I've seen this phrasing. It means the cheaper type of fuel, lower octane.

A quick search using the terms high test high octane gave me this, from Urban Dictionary "Old-school term for Premium/high octane fuel." Remember -this was a search for the opposite, "high test" which I feel was used more often than "low test." The was written by someone older than 35, I'm guessing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting. Googling "low-test gas" doesn't bring that up, nor "low-test petrol" (BrE for "gasoline"). "Low-test gasoline" finally brought up a freedictionary entry to that effect. I've never heard of it. Perhaps it was never used in BrE.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you buy fuel at a petrol station (is that the right term?) do you have choices about the grade of fuel? We usually have three to choose from.

If so, how do you refer to the three grades? These days you don't really hear "high test" or "low test" but I can't tell you how it's labeled at the pump. I think "premium" for the highest, but I just don't notice any more.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you buy fuel at a petrol station (is that the right term?) do you have choices about the grade of fuel? We usually have three to choose from.

If so, how do you refer to the three grades? These days you don't really hear "high test" or "low test" but I can't tell you how it's labeled at the pump. I think "premium" for the highest, but I just don't notice any more.
Back in the day, as they say, (after 1932) there were two choices, regular and ethyl. Ethyl was the more expensive choice. It has to do with the octane rating of the gas. Sometimes you would get a gas that so low in octane that the engine would knock. More powerful engines required a high octane gas.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I can recall, we have "Unleaded", "Premium unleaded" or "diesel".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know that they ever had something called "low test." Regular and high test seems more likely to me. If you were trying to sell something you would be unlikely to call it "low" anything. (Unless it was calorie or fat, but this is talking performance.)

As Barb said, in the US we typically have three octane ratings available. Most American cars are made to work on the 87, the cheapest gas. Some high performance cars want 89 or 93, but Americans generally have an aversion to paying extra for gasoline.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know that they ever had something called "low test." Regular and high test seems more likely to me. If you were trying to sell something you would be unlikely to call it "low" anything. (Unless it was calorie or fat, but this is talking performance.)

As Barb said, in the US we typically have three octane ratings available. Most American cars are made to work on the 87, the cheapest gas. Some high performance cars want 89 or 93, but Americans generally have an aversion to paying extra for gasoline.

"Low-test" was invented as a humorous contrast to "high-test". I remember when it was common.

Status
Not open for further replies.