Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which sentence is correct about the definitions of "first cousin, once twice etc removed" ?

1. My mother's first cousin is my first cousin, once removed. My grandmother's first cousin is my first cousins, twice removed.
I and my aunt's kid are first cousin. If my first cousin has a kid, that kid is my first cousin, once removed. If I have a kid, my kid and my first cousin's kid are second cousins.

I'm a bit confused. I'd be obliged if you elaborate on this usage of removed (and first, second cousin etc) for me.

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to view a fairly clear chart of cousin relationship.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which sentence is correct about the definitions of "first cousin, once twice etc removed" ?

1. My mother's first cousin is my first cousin, once removed. My grandmother's first cousin is my first [strike]cousins[/strike] cousin, twice removed.
[strike]I and my aunt's kid[/strike] My aunt's kid and I are first cousins. If my first cousin has a kid, that kid is my first cousin, once removed. If I have a kid, my kid and my first cousin's kid are second cousins.

I'm a bit confused. I'd be obliged if you would elaborate on this usage of removed (and first, second cousin etc) for me.

Thanks.

See my corrections to your post, in red.

EDIT as a result of Raymott's next post. Thank you, Raymott.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As the article states, "cousin" in common use usually refers to first cousins. My parents' siblings' children.

"Distant cousin" is usually used for other relations, unless some inheritance or title depends upon the exact relationship.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As the article states, "cousin" in common use usually refers to first cousins. My parents' siblings' children.

"Distant cousin" is usually used for other relations, unless some inheritance or title depends upon the exact relationship.

I would draw that line at third cousins. In many traditional Catholic families, the age span from eldest to youngest can be an entire generation. In those circumstances, first cousins can function more as aunts and uncles and second cousins are more like first cousins.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would draw that line at third cousins. In many traditional Catholic families, the age span from eldest to youngest can be an entire generation. In those circumstances, first cousins can function more as aunts and uncles and second cousins are more like first cousins.

And the other way around, too. There are two boys who live next door. They are one year apart, but the one is the uncle of the other. My dad was an uncle to someone that he was younger than.

Status
Not open for further replies.