Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I thought it was not an insult? Happened to me and my friend a few weeks ago?

Any comments from a native speaker or an english teacher please?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's very offensive. You deserved to be punched and probably won't be so lucky next time.

marek_max

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thanks

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The "c word", as many people call it, is considered to be the most offensive word in the English language. Don't use it. Ever.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "c word", as many people call it, is considered to be the most offensive word in the English language. Don't use it. Ever.

Right. The "F" word gets all the press, but the true taboo word is the "C" word.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will hear it used in BrE and in some circles it is used in a manner that is not intended to be particularly offensive. However, many other people are seriously offended by the word, so the above advice not to use it is good.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you used that word in my presence, the conversation would come to an immediate stop and you'd be talking to the spot I'd been standing. It is a horrifically offensive word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interestingly, in "The Vagina Monologues", the female members of the audience are encouraged to reclaim the word by getting them to chant the word over and over again, louder and louder. It's designed to take the "taboo" quality of the word away and take it back to its original meaning (though I note from Wikipedia that there is a lot of dispute over its origins anyway). At the production I went to see, this chant was explained and started by the wonderful Honor Blackman who, rather aptly, played Pussy Galore in Goldfinger, the James Bond film.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Interestingly, in "The Vagina Monologues", the female members of the audience are encouraged to reclaim the word by getting them to chant the word over and over again, louder and louder. It's designed to take the "taboo" quality of the word away and take it back to its original meaning (though I note from Wikipedia that there is a lot of dispute over its origins anyway). At the production I went to see, this chant was explained and started by the wonderful Honor Blackman who, rather aptly, played Pussy Galore in Goldfinger, the James Bond film.

It was, along with "cunny", widely used in medieval England as the common term for that part of a woman's anatomy.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was, along with "cunny", widely used in medieval England as the common term for that part of a woman's anatomy.

I have read that it survived in BrE in some regions into the last century for animal anatomy.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Forty years ago, when I was in England, many people were fond of the spoonerism "cunning stunt" for "very attractive woman."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I first heard the word from my mother, who doesn't swear very much. However, when stuck in a traffic jam for which she can see no reason, she's fond of saying, in an irritated tone "For f*ck's sake. Who's the c*nt at the front?!"

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status