English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello there!

I'm new in the forum, hope I got everything right.

I've written the transcript for a video I found on YouTube, which I'll use for the practical section of my research paper. The problem is I'm having difficulty in understanding a few words, so I'd really appreciate if you can help me figure out those chunks.
The video is an interview made by an Indian journalist to ex PM Tony Blair. Here's the link: Should have listened to India, says Tony Blair - YouTube

And here is what I managed to transcribe (the parts in red are the ones I either have doubts about or don't understand):

INTERVIEWER: For the part of the world where I come from, which is South Asia, which is today at the epicentre of so many of these debates, with Pakistan and Afghanistan being really serious issues for India, you’re writing your book about how you had [with] innocence, perhaps underestimate [underestimated] the threat of radical extremist Islam, and you only grew to understand it over the years. Do you think there was this one turning point of that made you understand it? Or do you think that happened to you after you stepped down of the centre from office?

TONY BLAIR:
Well that’s a good question, I mean, I think it, it was, it’s been a process of the time, but I also think, you know, something I used to say, umm, towards the end of my premiership was, we should have listened to India more. You know, we should have watched what was happening there and taken more account of it. And I’m afraid we were rather kind of arrogantly actually, the West, so we thought, well maybe it’s something to do with India, you know, it’s a far off place, and we don’t quite understand it and so on, but actually, I think towards the end of my premiership and even more so after leaving, I think this is a... it is a global movement, it actually does threaten us all, and it does have to be confronted and defeated, you know, quite different way from any other conventional war we’ve fought before.

INTERVIEWER:
India feels, and Indians feel that it took 9/11 to make the world acknowledge what India had been saying all along, and to that extent, India also believes, and this is irrespective of which government is in power, that the world has not responded formally enough to Pakistan. Now you make a reference in your book to your meeting with General Musharraf to terror groups operating out of Pakistan but you don’t draw a distinction between terror emanating from Pakistan and the entire Pakistan establishment being complicit at that. Do you understand things that took ??? reading in the light of some of the things we’ve seen after the bombed attacks?

TONY BLAIR:
That’s difficult to answer, I mean, look, you know, I have many Pakistani friends and many people I talk to...

INTERVIEWER:
And so do I, yeah.

TONY BLAIR: And whom I believe have stand to completely appal this terrorism and want to defeat it. I think it’s more to do with the fact that, umm, this strain of extremism within Islam, based on a perversion of Islam but within it, I think what I’ve learned from the Indian experience in the end, and I think you’re right in saying, I’m afraid it took 9/11 for us to wake up to this, is that you can’t, umm, sort of, hide away from the fact, that this is actually a — an element within Islam, it may be based on a perversion of it but it’s there, and what it does is, it’s not merely that it expresses itself as an act of terrorism, it expresses itself in a narrative of extremism about society, and about relations between countries, and people of different faiths, which is I think fundamental it has to be confronted. Now I think that narrative unfortunately is there as a strain within Pakistani society.

Thanks in advance!

QueenVicky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Eighty views and nobody can give me a hand???

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there!

I'm new in the forum, hope I got everything right.

I've written the transcript for a video I found on YouTube, which I'll use for the practical section of my research paper. The problem is I'm having difficulty in understanding a few words, so I'd really appreciate if you can help me figure out those chunks.
The video is an interview made by an Indian journalist to ex PM Tony Blair. Here's the link: Should have listened to India, says Tony Blair - YouTube

And here is what I managed to transcribe (the parts in red are the ones I either have doubts about or don't understand):

INTERVIEWER: For the part of the world where I come from, which is South Asia, which is today at the epicentre of so many of these debates, with Pakistan and Afghanistan being really serious issues for India, you’re writing your book about how you had, in a sense, perhaps underestimated the threat of radical extremist Islam, and you only grew to understand it over the years. Do you think there was this one turning point [strike]of[/strike] (no "of") that made you understand it? Or do you think that happened to you after you stepped down of the centre from office?

TONY BLAIR:
Well that’s a good question, I mean, I think it, it was, it’s been a process [strike]of the[/strike] over time, but I also think, you know, something I used to say, umm, towards the end of my premiership was, we should have listened to India more. You know, we should have watched what was happening there and taken more account of it. And I’m afraid, [strike]we were[/strike] (those two words are not there) rather kind of arrogantly actually, the West, so we thought, well maybe it’s something to do with India, you know, it’s a far off place, and we don’t quite understand it and so on, but actually, I think towards the end of my premiership and even more so after leaving, I think this is a... it is a global movement, it actually does threaten us all, and it does have to be confronted and defeated [strike]you know,[/strike] in a quite different way from any other conventional war we’ve fought before.

INTERVIEWER:
India feels, and Indians feel that it took 9/11 to make the world acknowledge what India had been saying all along, and to that extent, India also believes, and this is irrespective of which government is in power, that the world has not responded formally enough to Pakistan. Now you make a reference in your book to your meeting with General Musharraf to terror groups operating out of Pakistan but you [strike]don’t[/strike] do draw a distinction between terror emanating from Pakistan and the entire Pakistan establishment being complicit [strike]at[/strike] in that. Do you [strike]understand things that took ??? [/strike] think that, in a sense, that's too benign a reading in the light of some of the things we’ve seen after the [strike]bombed[/strike] Bombay attacks?

TONY BLAIR:
That’s difficult to answer, I mean, look, you know, I have many Pakistani friends and many people I talk to...

INTERVIEWER:
And so do I, yeah.

TONY BLAIR: And [strike]whom[/strike] who I believe, [strike]have stand to[/strike] incidentally, completely [strike]appal[/strike] abhor this terrorism and want to defeat it. I think it’s more to do with the fact that, umm, this strain of extremism within Islam, based on a perversion of Islam but within it, I think what I’ve learned from the Indian experience in the end, and I think you’re right in saying "I’m afraid it took 9/11 for us to wake up to this" (he is quoting the interviewer's own words back to her) , is that you can’t, umm, sort of, hide away from the fact, that this is actually a — an element within Islam, it may be based on a perversion of it but it’s there, and what it does is, it’s not merely that it expresses itself [strike]as an[/strike] in acts of terrorism, it expresses itself in a narrative of extremism about society, and about relations between countries, and people of different faiths, which is I think fundamental [strike]it[/strike] and has to be confronted. Now I think that narrative unfortunately is there as a strain within Pakistani society.

Thanks in advance!

See above for a fully corrected transcript. You did pretty well!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

QueenVicky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thanks a lot emsr2d2!!! I really really appreciate your help :-D
5jj, maybe your right... although it's nice to the ear to listen to him, leaving aside its connotations... but the interviewer was driving me mad!

Status
Not open for further replies.