Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
(Julie was seeing this guy for a long time. Everybody thought they were going to get married. Then she suddenly)

1. disappeared on him.
2. disappeared from in front of him.

Are both 1 and 2 grammatically correct? Do they have the same meaning?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Use 1.

If someone "disappears on you", it means that they suddenly vanish out of your life, even if only for a short period. It is used for things other than people. "iTunes was open on my desktop and then, just as I wanted to use it, it disappeared on me!"

Julie did not vanish into thin air in front of her boyfriend's eyes, which is what #2 suggests. They were together as a couple for a long time and everybody assumed that they would get married but then she mysteriously vanished. Presumably, she left the house one day to go to work but never came back (or something similar).

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Use 1.

If someone "disappears on you", it means that they suddenly vanish out of your life, even if only for a short period. It is used for things other than people. "iTunes was open on my desktop and then, just as I wanted to use it, it disappeared on me!"

Julie did not vanish into thin air in front of her boyfriend's eyes, which is what #2 suggests. They were together as a couple for a long time and everybody assumed that they would get married but then she mysteriously vanished. Presumably, she left the house one day to go to work but never came back (or something similar).

Thank you for answerig my question.
Do you mean "in addition to" by "other than" (people)? At first, I thought you mean "not" (people), but if so, it doesn't make sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for answerig my question.
Do you mean "in addition to" by "other than" (people)? At first, I thought you mean "not" (people), but if so, it doesn't make sense.

Yes, "in addition to". Apologies, I omitted a word from that sentence. I thought I had written "It is also used for things other than people".

Status
Not open for further replies.