• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico

Number usage

Hello. I would like to know which grammar rule or exception is the base for the following: When numbers are used as determinants, they are written before the noun (e.g. one house, two doors) but when the number refers to one of a numbered, finite collection of items, such as gates at an airport or rooms in a hotel, they are written after the noun (e.g. gate two, room five). I think I have the correct concept, but I can't look it up in a grammar book or the internet for clarification because I can't remember what the construction, case or grammar rule/exception is called. Thanks for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Number usage

Quote Originally Posted by E_Urrutia View Post
    Hello. I would like to know which grammar rule or exception is the base for the following: When numbers are used as determinants, they are written before the noun (e.g. one house, two doors) but when the number refers to one of a numbered, finite collection of items, such as gates at an airport or rooms in a hotel, they are written after the noun (e.g. gate two, room five). I think I have the correct concept, but I can't look it up in a grammar book or the internet for clarification because I can't remember what the construction, case or grammar rule/exception is called. Thanks for your help.
    In your examples, the numbers coming before a noun indicate quantities; the numbers coming after the noun distinguish the noun from other similar items.

This airline has ten gates; I need to go to gate two.