[Grammar] Would have done (for a repeated action in the past)

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can would have done be used for a repeated action in the past?

Consider the following examples:

1) He used to visit Jane' family quite often when he lived nextdoor to them.
2) He would visit Jane's family every now and then when he lived nextdoor to them.
3) He would have visited (= he often visited them in the past, a repeated action in the past)...............?

Is there a way to complete sentence 3) so that the verb visit would have a "repeated" meaning, describing a repeated action in the past (like in the first two examples)?

I am asking this question because I was told in this forum that it's possible, but I still doubt it and can only think of one use of would have done, for an action in the past that DID NOT actually happen: He would have visited Jane' family, if he had had time (but he DID NOT visit them).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can would have done be used for a repeated action in the past?

Consider the following examples:

1) He used to visit Jane' family quite often when he lived nextdoor to them.
2) He would visit Jane's family every now and then when he lived nextdoor to them.
3) He would have visited (= he often visited them in the past, a repeated action in the past)...............?

Is there a way to complete sentence 3) so that the verb visit would have a "repeated" meaning, describing a repeated action in the past (like in the first two examples)?

I am asking this question because I was told in this forum that it's possible, but I still doubt it and can only think of one use of would have done, for an action in the past that DID NOT actually happen: He would have visited Jane' family, if he had had time (but he DID NOT visit them).

"He would have visited Jane's family often when they lived nearby."

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In fact, "used to" and "would" already contain a "repeated" connotation, which means, in your first two sentences, "quite often" and "every now and then" are not necessary but it's Okay for them to be there.

However, to my knowledge, "would have done" has no "repeated" connotation to it.

************NOT A TEACHER***********

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
However, to my knowledge, "would have done" has no "repeated" connotation to it.

I myself was surprised when I learned that it HAS! Now I am looking for examples.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"He would have visited Jane's family often when they lived nearby."

What's the difference between this sentence and sentences 1) and 2)?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What's the difference between this sentence and sentences 1) and 2)?

We are stating a probability, we think that it's very likely that that's what he did.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, "used to" and "would" already contain a "repeated" connotation, which means, in your first two sentences, "quite often" and "every now and then" are not necessary but it's Okay for them to be there.

I disagree with this post. Yes, "used to" and "would" convey "repetition", but they say nothing about the frequency. "Quite often" and "every now and then" provide the information about frequency.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We are stating a probability, we think that it's very likely that that's what he did.

Can I say in the same way He MUST have visited Jane's family quite often... or He MAY have visited Jane's family quite often... with different degrees of probability ?
:?:

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say in the same way He MUST have visited Jane's family quite often... or He MAY have visited Jane's family quite often... with different degrees of probability ?
:?:

Yes. Also "might". But one has to understand that modal verbs often reflect the opinion/view of the speaker/writer. The reality is often different.

Status
Not open for further replies.