Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In a passage about the glorious messiness of English, it is said that "Since the Renaissance spurred a scientific revolution, English had to accommodate it. New discoveries needed new descriptions, creating words like atmosphere, pneumonia and skeleton."
I'm not quite clear about the meaning of accommodate here. First I think it means to change so that you're able to deal with it. Then I think it's unlikely, because in this sense, maybe the sentence should be written in this way: English had to accommodate itself to it.
So could you explain to me the exact meaning of accommodate in the original sentence? Thank you.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a passage about the glorious messiness of English, it is said that "Since the Renaissance spurred a scientific revolution, English had to accommodate it. New discoveries needed new descriptions, creating words like atmosphere, pneumonia and skeleton."
I'm not quite clear about the meaning of accommodate here. First I think it means to change so that you're able to deal with it. Then I think it's unlikely, because in this sense, maybe the sentence should be written in this way: English had to accommodate itself to it.
So could you explain to me the exact meaning of accommodate in the original sentence? Thank you.

I don't think the meaning is that difficult to understand. Have you checked out definitions?

See here: accommodate - definition of accommodate by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many definitions seem likely to me. I can interpret it as "consider", or "reconcile" , but I can't decide for sure which one fits best

English had to adapt to it.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
English had to adapt to it.
At first,I just interpreted it in this way,but then when I look it up in the dictionary,I find a problem: the word is used like adapt as a transitive verb, accommodate oneself to something. Is it OK to just use "accommodate it" instead of "accommodate itself to it"?
This is what really confuses me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At first,I just interpreted it in this way,but then when I look it up in the dictionary,I find a problem: the word is used like adapt as a transitive verb, accommodate oneself to something. Is it OK to just use "accommodate it" instead of "accommodate itself to it"?
This is what really confuses me.

The transitive use of "accommodate" is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.