• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Listening ability

Hi
    What's the best/recommended ways for improving our Listening ability from your standpoint?( For non-native speakers)

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Listening ability

Hello.

The best way to improve your listening skills is listen as much as possible. You can watch videos on Youtube, listen to BBC Radio (I prefer BBC Radio 4 Extra) and etc.
    Moreover I love music, so when I'm listening to something, I'm trying to write down lyrics. Unfortunately, I don't do it well .

Boris.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Listening ability

I recommend Ted.com where you can watch short presentations in English, covering a range of very interesting topics. I believe that it is possible to have subtitles on the site, so I recommend that my students watch each video a couple of times without the subtitles to see how much they understand, and then switch on the subtitles if necessary. Also, find an English-speaking online radio station and play it in the background all the time you are at home. Don't actively listen to it - just make sure it's audible. Over time, it will help you understand the rhythm and cadence of the language and you will start to understand more and more words.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 23-Dec-2013 at 10:34.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.