• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

writings of John

Hi,

What does "writings of John" stand for in the following text? I looked it up on dictionaries and on Google, without success.

The text consists of the three first paragraphs [I mean, no one named John was cited before] of an article published today on the on-line diary World Observer:

"If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to go back to school and fulfill your dreams of running with the popular crowd, take a cue from 82-year-old Frances Wood.

The grandmother of eight decided to pack her bags and go back to college, feeling lonely and depressed after the passing of her husband of 59 years. She enrolled at MidAmerica Nazarene University, a liberal arts college just south of Kansas City, where people over the age of 65 can take classes for free.

The campus is 70 miles from her house so she rents an off-campus apartment. She’s a sophomore, but not working toward a degree so she has no major — unless you count majoring in fun — and is currently taking classes about personal finance, federal income tax, Kansas history and the writings of John."

[Please correct the occasional mistakes I've made while asking this question. Thanks!]
    Last edited by Conatus; 23-Dec-2013 at 20:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: writings of John

Quote Originally Posted by Conatus View Post
    Hi,

What does "writings of John" stand for in the following text? I looked it up on dictionaries and on Google, without sucess.

The text consists of the three first paragraphs [I mean, no one named John was cited before] of an article published today on the on-line diary World Observer:

"If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to go back to school and fulfill your dreams of running with the popular crowd, take a cue from 82-year-old Frances Wood.

The grandmother of eight decided to pack her bags and go back to college, feeling lonely and depressed after the passing of her husband of 59 years. She enrolled at MidAmerica Nazarene University, a liberal arts college just south of Kansas City, where people over the age of 65 can take classes for free.

The campus is 70 miles from her house so she rents an off-campus apartment. She’s a sophomore, but not working toward a degree so she has no major — unless you count majoring in fun — and is currently taking classes about personal finance, federal income tax, Kansas history and the writings of John."

[Please correct the occasional mistakes I've made while asking this question. Thanks!]
    I assume the reference is to the Book of John which is part of the Christian Bible.