[Grammar] Help with understanding only one sentence, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiouscuriosader

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
Hi all!

The sentence I can't get the meaning out of is: "Each learns all the other learns about this and about the garden".
The part I don't understand is: "...all the other learns...".
I was reading and translating "Gods" by John Wisdom and then I stumbled upon this one and got stuck! Believe me, this is written like that everywhere: in his book and on the web:
Mevaseret Zion: Essays on Jewish Thought and Practice
How do we judge ? - Wise-Dumbo - italki Discussions

What does the second "learns" mean? Is this a verb or a noun? How can this be grammatically correct?

Thanks in advance.1

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, curiouscuriosader .

It looks like a mistake to me. I don't know what it means.

Please tell us in what paragraph the sentence can be found in each of your links. There's a lot to plough through there.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about everything that the other learns?

curiouscuriosader

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
Welcome to the forum, curiouscuriosader .

It looks like a mistake to me. I don't know what it means.

Please tell us in what paragraph the sentence can be found in each of your links. There's a lot to plough through there.

Here is the Paragraph the sentence was in:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides examining the garden carefully
they also study what happens to gardens left without attention.
Each learns all the other learns about this and about the garden.

Consequently, when after all this, one says: "I still believe a gardener comes"
while the other says "I don't".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They examine the garden ever so carefully and sometimes they come on new things suggesting the contrary and even that a malicious person has been at work. Besides examining the garden carefully they also study what happens to gardens left without attention. Each learns all the other learns about this and about the garden. Consequently, when after all this, one says "I still believe a gardener comes" while the other says "I don't".

I don't think there is any mistake because it was written by a native English speaker in a philosophy book. The author lived during 1904-1993. The author's name is John Widsom and the name of the work is "Gods".

I'm sure you can help me understand this. Or is this kind of obsolete writing style? But could I still get just what the sentence means, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all!

The sentence I can't get the meaning out of is: "Each learns all the other learns about this and about the garden".
The part I don't understand is: "...all the other learns...".
I was reading and translating "Gods" by John Wisdom and then I stumbled upon this one and got stuck! Believe me, this is written like that everywhere: in his book and on the web:
Mevaseret Zion: Essays on Jewish Thought and Practice
How do we judge ? - Wise-Dumbo - italki Discussions

What does the second "learns" mean? Is this a verb or a noun? How can this be grammatically correct?

Thanks in advance.1
Each person learns everything that the other person learns about this (we don't know what "this" refers to) and about the garden.

curiouscuriosader

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
Thanks! Thank you very much!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.