Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
She (produced/drew) some sweets from her bag and insisted they be shared among her friends.
I'm to make a choice between produce and drew. The answer is "produced". But then I wonder if drew can also be used here. Sometimes we say to draw some money from the pocket. So is "drew" also acceptable in the above sentence? Hope you can help me, thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
She (produced/drew) some sweets from her bag and insisted they be shared among her friends.
It would be an uncommon use of 'draw'. And 'produced' goes better with 'insisted' (both Latin derivatives) - not that that's a major factor.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It would be an uncommon use of 'draw'. And 'produced' goes better with 'insisted' (both Latin derivatives) - not that that's a major factor.
"produce some sweets from her bag" also seems uncommon to me. Is it used formally in here? Because "She took out some sweets from her bag" seems the most common.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. Then is the expression "draw some money/notes from the pocket" natural?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do dictionaries sometimes include uncommon usage?

They do that all the time; it's one of their main functions. That's why it's definition #14 and not one of the first five or ten.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we tend only to use "draw" with that meaning when we say "I'm going to draw some money out of the bank". Even then, most people would use "take" or perhaps "withdraw".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it common to say "draw a gun/sword"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it common to say "draw a gun/sword"?

In the 18th century, I'm sure it was quite common. They're not phrases I've ever had cause to use! In the last news case here of a police shooting, I seem to recall the papers saying that the victim had "pulled a gun" and then brandished it.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's only common when you say "draw a card".

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Again, I don't quite get why "produce some sweets from her bag" is common. Is "produce" used formally in here? Because "She took out some sweets from her bag" seems the most common. How often do we hear people say"produce something from his bag"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find "produced" relatively uncommon there. It suggests to me that something was taken out as a surprise or with a flourish. We say that magicians "produce rabbits out of hats". I, too, would say "She took some sweets out of her bag [and offered them to people]".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I find "produced" relatively uncommon there. It suggests to me that something was taken out as a surprise or with a flourish. We say that magicians "produce rabbits out of hats". I, too, would say "She took some sweets out of her bag [and offered them to people]".
Yes, but she "insisted" they be shared with her friends. This is a bit ridiculous, like producing a rabbit from a hat. If she was going to insist that her friends eat the sweets, she probably did produce them with a flourish. This is a situation that doesn't necessarily call for the "most common" usage. You may insist that the sentence you've produced is superior because it's natural, but naturalness is not always the only criterion by which one chooses what words to use.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can I just remind everybody that we're only discussing 'produced' and 'drew' because chance22 was not allowed to use the verb every native speaker would use in real life — 'took'.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So to "draw some money from the pocket" is also uncommon?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. You draw money from a bank or ATM.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we often say "I drew fifty quid out of the machine earlier" or similar.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Draw" as in pull out is not so uncommon, it's just getting a bit old fashioned. We still say 'draw a card' for example, and 'draw your revolver,' but for candies in bags, we usually just say take one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.