Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, everyone.:-D

One of my students wrote (in her writing assignment):

"I enjoyed to go to shopping with my friend.
There was very cute wears at the shop.
I want it very much. So, I bought it."

The first sentence is not grammatical. It should be "I enjoyed going shopping with my friend(s)."
The second sentence is not, either. However, I'm at a loss as to how to correct it. (By "wears" the student means "clothes".)
Is it natural/grammatical to say "There was a cute piece of clothes at a/the shop. I wanted/liked it very much. So, I bought it."?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone.:-D

One of my students wrote (in her writing assignment):

"I enjoyed to go to shopping with my friend.
There was very cute wears at the shop.
I want it very much. So, I bought it."

The first sentence is not grammatical. It should be "I enjoyed going shopping with my friend(s)."
The second sentence is not, either. However, I'm at a loss as to how to correct it. (By "wears" the student means "clothes".)
Is it natural/grammatical to say "There was a cute piece of clothes at a/the shop. I wanted/liked it very much. So, I bought it."?

Thank you.

It could be "There were very cute wares at the shop". We wouldn't know if it was clothing or not. "Wares" are simply things for sale. If it's definitely clothing, then "There were some cute clothes at the shop".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It could be "There were very cute wares at the shop". We wouldn't know if it was clothing or not. "Wares" are simply things for sale. If it's definitely clothing, then "There were some cute clothes at the shop".

Thank you, emsr2d2.
Yes, she definitely means clothing/clothes. However, she found a particular piece/item among those sold at the shop, and she liked it.
How about:

There were some clothes at the shop.
I found a cute piece/item there. I wanted/liked it. So, I bought it.

Are they natural enough?

Thank you again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, emsr2d2.
Yes, she definitely means clothing/clothes. However, she found a particular piece/item among those sold at the shop, and she liked it.
How about:

There were some clothes at the shop.
I found a cute piece/item there. I wanted/liked it. So, I bought it.

Are they natural enough?

Thank you again.

I wouldn't use "piece". "Item of clothing" is OK but it's rather unspecific. If you have already said it's clothing, I would suggest going on to be more specific.

There were some lovely clothes at the shop. I found a really cute skirt/blouse/jumper/hat/T-shirt there. I liked it so much, I bought it!

Status
Not open for further replies.