Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546

    Sounds

    This is the sentence:
    • Your tutor sounds wonderful.

    Please explain what is wrong with that sentence, if anything.






    Rhyming Riddles
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2248

    Brief Verse (Couplets)
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

    English Idioms
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1697

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562

    Re: Sounds

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    This is the sentence:
    • Your tutor sounds wonderful.

    Please explain what is wrong with that sentence, if anything.






    Rhyming Riddles
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2248

    Brief Verse (Couplets)
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

    English Idioms
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1697
    I answered this, but nothing came up. This is a test.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    One more time:

    There is nothing wrong with this sentence, save a bit of ambiguity.

    This construction uses "sounds" as a linking verb -- it links a predicate adjective to the subject. It is similar to:

    The room smells bad.
    John feels warm.

    The ambiguity comes from the different meanings of "sound". Does the tutor have a wonderful voice or is he, himself, wonderful? Context should solve that problem.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    One more time:

    There is nothing wrong with this sentence, save a bit of ambiguity.

    This construction uses "sounds" as a linking verb -- it links a predicate adjective to the subject. It is similar to:

    The room smells bad.
    John feels warm.

    The ambiguity comes from the different meanings of "sound". Does the tutor have a wonderful voice or is he, himself, wonderful? Context should solve that problem.
    I can see how in the proper context that sentence might make sense.

    :)

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562

    RonBee

    Yes. Consider this:

    My tutor seems to know everything. He can quote references including the page numbers. In addition, he is patient, kind, and understanding.

    Wow! Your tutor sounds wonderful!

    What it really means is "From what I hear you say, it sounds as if your tutor is wonderful."

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546

    Re: RonBee

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Yes. Consider this:

    My tutor seems to know everything. He can quote references including the page numbers. In addition, he is patient, kind, and understanding.

    Wow! Your tutor sounds wonderful!

    What it really means is "From what I hear you say, it sounds as if your tutor is wonderful."
    Now, that one really makes sense.

    :D

  7. #7
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,733

    Re: Sounds

    The collocation is not correct. Maybe we can say your tutor said is wonderful. Or your tutor's remark sounds wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    This is the sentence:
    • Your tutor sounds wonderful.

    Please explain what is wrong with that sentence, if anything.






    Rhyming Riddles
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2248

    Brief Verse (Couplets)
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

    English Idioms
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1697

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546

    Re: Sounds

    Thanks. :D

    Welcome to our friendly forum.



    Do you want to try a riddle?

    :D
    Last edited by Red5; 15-Jan-2009 at 19:02.

  9. #9
    AUTOMOON is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    283

    Re: RonBee

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Yes. Consider this:

    My tutor seems to know everything. He can quote references including the page numbers. In addition, he is patient, kind, and understanding.

    Wow! Your tutor sounds wonderful!

    What it really means is "From what I hear you say, it sounds as if your tutor is wonderful."
    Your post makes sense to me.

  10. #10
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,825
    Your tutor sounds wonderful.
    I think that's fine.

    A: My tutor gives me all the attention I need and always helps me. I've learned so much from them.

    B: Your tutor sounds wonderful.

    A: S/he is.
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •