left a fragment in the grasp of the thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does this "prize" mean that the crown was a prize at an event or "the result of fighting"?
2. What does "fragment" and "grasp" each mean here?
38)

On entering the house, I examined the framework of the hall window with my lens. I could at once see that someone had gone through it.
It was because I could distinguish the outline of a step where the wet foot had been placed while coming in. I was then beginning to be able to form an opinion as to what had occurred.
A man had waited outside the window. Someone had brought the jewels to him. The deed had been overseen by another man. He had pursued the thief and had struggled with him. They had each pulled at the crown, their united strength causing injuries which one alone could not have made. He had returned with the prize, but had left a fragment in the grasp of the thief.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Does this "prize" mean that the crown was a prize at an event or "the result of fighting"?
2. What does "fragment" and "grasp" each mean here?
38)They had each pulled at the crown, their united strength causing injuries which one alone could not have made. He had returned with the prize, but had left a fragment in the grasp of the thief.

The real meaning is difficult to determine. It may be that a thief was trying to steal a crown and the owner resisted. At the end of the struggle, the owner had most of the crown, but the thief held a piece of it in his hand.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you now guess what "prize" means here with more context?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

This is just "prize" in the general sense of something that has been gained after a contest or struggle.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you now guess what "prize" means here with more context?

I assume that the "prize" was the crown. The additional context would have been helpful when you first posted. It saves a lot of guesswork.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I assume that the "prize" was the crown.

Oh, I assumed that was understood from the first post, perhaps not. I thought keannu was asking why the crown was referred to as a prize.
Anyway, it should all be clear now.

Status
Not open for further replies.