Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 26
    #1

    What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    Guy, this expression always drives me crazy because sometimes I assume it means seduce a woman who you have just met for sexual or romantic purpose.

    But, when I read a title on one of webpages or books like this "how to pick up girls/women" sounds like "how to get/score women" instead of "how to seduce women"

    So, how to pick up women at a bar, party, facebook, whatever.... means to you in other words:

    How to seduce women,
    How to attract women,
    How to approach women to talk to her,

    or how to get/score women?

    Which one of these options above?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotogênicas Brasil View Post
    Guy, this expression always drives me crazy because sometimes I assume it means seduce a woman who you have just met for sexual or romantic purpose.

    But, when I read a title on one of webpages or books like this "how to pick up girls/women" sounds like "how to get/score women" instead of "how to seduce women"

    So, how to pick up women at a bar, party, facebook, whatever.... means to you in other words:

    How to seduce women,
    How to attract women,
    How to approach women to talk to her,

    or how to get/score women?

    Which one of these options above?
    It sounds quite offensive to me.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    What do you think the difference is between "scoring" and "seducing for sexual purposes"? There is none.

    It means "how to get a woman interested in you, perhaps to the degree that your evening will continue into morning."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 26
    #4

    Re: What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    What do you think the difference is between "scoring" and "seducing for sexual purposes"? There is none.

    It means "how to get a woman interested in you, perhaps to the degree that your evening will continue into morning."
    I think "to get/score someone" is what happens after you tried to seduce a woman successfully at a bar, party, whatever....

    I think when you picks up a woman mean the seduction and attraction happened before the "pick up" and this woman and you are together now....kissing each other.

    But, sometimes this expression seems similar "to attract someone you are interested in" or " how to approach someone you are interested in" in some contexts as in "how to pick up woman/man on facebook".
    I don't know if I'm correct, but I hope not.

    To me "to seduce/to attract someone" is different from "to pick up someone". The first, it is a kind of way to pick up someone, you use certain techniques (pick-up lines, try to be as charming as possible) and pick up is "you got the woman/man indeed to spend the time with you".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 26
    #5

    Re: What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It sounds quite offensive to me.
    Man, my intention is not to be offensive. To me it is just an expression and it is a very common expression in English. Could be offensive, but many people who don't speak English all over the world would like to know the real meaning of this idiom... but it sometimes can be so confusing to understand. Got it?

    From time to time I see this expression in books and magazines. And it always I'm wondering if it means "how to attract someone" or "how to get someone", you know?

    :)

    For example:

    A: Who are you anyway? Are you trying to pick me up?
    B: No, I never picked up anybody in my life!!

    It doesn't make sense "no, I never got a woman/man in my life".... you know?
    Last edited by Fotogênicas Brasil; 29-Dec-2013 at 22:38. Reason: further information

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #6

    Re: What does "how to pick up women" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotogênicas Brasil View Post
    I think "to get/score someone" is what happens after you tried to seduce a woman successfully at a bar, party, whatever....

    I think when you picks up a woman mean the seduction and attraction happened before the "pick up" and this woman and you are together now....kissing each other.

    But, sometimes this expression seems similar "to attract someone you are interested in" or " how to approach someone you are interested in" in some contexts as in "how to pick up woman/man on facebook".
    I don't know if I'm correct, but I hope not.

    To me "to seduce/to attract someone" is different from "to pick up someone". The first, it is a kind of way to pick up someone, you use certain techniques (pick-up lines, try to be as charming as possible) and pick up is "you got the woman/man indeed to spend the time with you".
    You are inventing differences that are not there.
    If you "pick up a woman at a bar" you approach her, get her interested in you, and she continues the flirtation/conversation/seduction.
    The phrase "pick-up line" comes from the approach you use trying to get a woman interested in you - trying to pick her up.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2013, 14:21
  2. "EU defends women on boards plans" -- a good headline?
    By konungursvia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2012, 12:53
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2012, 10:51
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2010, 17:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •