Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2013
    • Posts: 8
    #1

    Question "face to" as a verb?

    Hi,

    "We faced to challenging moments during past year"
    This is a sentence I saw in a text. The text was translation of a letter from Persian to English and seemed weird to me.
    I didn't find such a preposition in any dictionary.

    The question is about using/not using “to” as a preposition for “face”.
    I need to know if it's a way to write more politely/formal or it's completely wrong.

    (sorry if I'm not good in writing.)
    Thank You

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    #2

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by CSYavar View Post
    Hi,

    "We faced to challenging moments during past year"
    This is a sentence I saw in a text. The text was translation of a letter from Persian to English and seemed weird to me.
    I didn't find such a preposition in any dictionary.

    The question is about using/not using “to” as a preposition for “face”.
    I need to know if it's a way to write more politely/formal or it's completely wrong.

    (sorry if I'm not good in writing.)
    Thank You
    It would make more sense if written "We faced two challenging moments during the past year."
    In English there are many words which sound alike but have different meanings. Some examples are: To, too, and two. These are called homophones.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    It's wrong but prepositions are hard, so it's not surprising.

    If you saw it in native writing (not a translation) I'd say the person probably started to say something like "We've had to face" and did some rewriting.

    We faced some challenging times over the past year.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2013
    • Posts: 8
    #4

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    It would make more sense if written "We faced two challenging moments during the past year."
    In English there are many words which sound alike but have different meanings. Some examples are: To, too, and two. These are called homophones.
    I'm sure it's not that kind of problem. but thanks for learning me a new word: "homophones"

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #5

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by CSYavar View Post
    I'm sure it's not that kind of problem (no full stop here) but thanks for learning teaching me a new word: "homophones".
    Concentrate on the difference between "to teach" (what we do) and "to learn" (what you do).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2013
    • Posts: 8
    #6

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    It was sent before I could stop it. You're right n thx. But I need opinions about the main question,

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2013
    • Posts: 8
    #7

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    So you say something is missing there. I guess the same. But I'm not sure about it. I hope someone give a clear description and tell me if it's right or wrong.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2013
    • Posts: 8
    #8

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    ------- teaching me ------

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: "face to" as a verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by CSYavar View Post
    I hope someone give a clear description and tell me if it's right or wrong.
    Barb told you it was wrong. She and Gillnetter suggested what might have been intended.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2013, 13:39
  2. [Grammar] Do you have names for "subject" / "subjective complement" / "verb"...?
    By terrenziqq in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-May-2013, 06:39
  3. [Vocabulary] Are the verb "school" and the verb "educate" interchangeable?
    By eggcracker in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2012, 22:57
  4. [General] "As Gas Prices Soar, Elderly Face Cuts in Aid"
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Jul-2008, 13:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •