who / whom (when are these interchangeable?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_genius_20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
I have a problem with the relative pronouns "who and whom"
Once, our teacher told us that we can use "whom" instead of "who" but we can not use "who" instead of "whom"
Is she right?

I mean:

The person who phoned me last night is my teacher. (Can we also put "whom" instead of "who"?)

The person whom I phoned last night is my teacher. (Can we also put "who" instead of "whom"?)

Thanks

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Have you looked at previous threads on who/whom? This topic has been covered ad nauseam on many different forums and in many different articles. Have a look here and try to answer your own questions.

Last edited:

alex_genius_20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Have you looked at previous threads on who/whom? This topic has been covered ad nauseum on many different forums and in many different articles. Have a look here and try to answer your own questions.
ِDear Chicken thanks for answering but we nonnative English speakers usually expect to get the immediate or first response first from native English speakers. Because we may sometimes be in hurry and look for an immediate response. I appreciate your response.
My best wishes to you.;-)

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

I know exactly that your sentences are correct.

Also I'm sure you can't replace "who" with "whom" in the first one.
but I'm not sure about the second sentence. I heard many times when people said so.

P.S I'd replace "is" with "was"

Boris.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
ِDear Chicken thanks for answering but we nonnative English speakers usually expect to get the immediate or first response first from native English speakers. Because we may sometimes be in hurry and look for an immediate response. I appreciate your response.
My best wishes to you.;-)

My advice to you is:
1. Don't be in a hurry and look for an immediate response. We are not at your beck and call.
2. Take Chicken Sandwich's advice. Look at the link he kindly provided for you and do some work for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

I know exactly that your sentences are correct.

Also I'm sure you can't replace "who" with "whom" in the first one.
but I'm not sure about the second sentence. I heard many times when people said so.

P.S I'd replace "is" with "was"

Boris.

I would not replace "is" with "was" if the person is still his teacher. "Was" suggests that the person used to be his teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The person who phoned me last night is my teacher. (Can we also put "whom" instead of "who"?) No

The person whom I phoned last night is my teacher. (Can we also put "who" instead of "whom"?)
Yes

Y

Yiagos

In some cases are interchangeable in other not. But if you are not sure, it is better to use who. A very good explanation is here on Grammar Monster site.

I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.