• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I say we decK the halls!

"OKay, everyone, let’s get busy!
    Uh, gifts here and, uh decorations there.
    I say we decK the halls!"

It's what one of the characters in the cartoon movie A Very Merry Pooh Year says. I am not sure I understand it correctly. Does he mean cleaning the floor?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I say we decK the halls!

No, it means to decorate the large rooms (halls) for an event, usually for Christmas.

There is a Christmas carol called "Deck The Halls" which includes the line "Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa-la-la-la-la, fa la, la, la".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, it means to decorate the large rooms (halls) for an event, usually for Christmas.

There is a Christmas carol called "Deck The Halls" which includes the line "Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa-la-la-la-la, fa la, la, la".
    Is to deck colloquial, derived from "to decorate"?
    And why is I say used here? For emphasis? How would the meaning of the phrase change without it?
    Last edited by englishhobby; 02-Jan-2014 at 13:46.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    "OKay, everyone, let’s get busy!
    Uh, gifts here and, uh decorations there.
    I say we decK the halls!"

It's what one of the characters in the cartoon movie A Very Merry Pooh Year says. I am not sure I understand it correctly. Does he mean cleaning the floor?
    "I say we" introduces a suggestion. It could be replaced by "Let's'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    Is it colloquial, derived from "to decorate"?
    And why is I say used here? For emphasis? How would the meaning of the phrase change without it?
    I think 'derived from' is a bit questionable. They both appeared in the early 15th century, decorate from Latin and deck from Old English. They're related certainly, through the Proto Indo European *dek- And I wouldn't say it was colloquial; the colloquial verb that comes to mind with the meaning of 'decorate' is pimp

It is certainly archaic. BNC has only 101 occurrences of 'decked', some of which, I imagine, refer to a fighter being decked. But the first ten I browsed through all have the decorative meaning:

1 A0D W_fict_prose A B C as he kissed her good bye before school; and Mother in full evening dress decked out in false pearls, her eyelashes beaded with mascara, dominating the stage in
    2 A6N W_fict_prose A B C their shame and apprehension gone. The concert was amateur. A group of girls decked with medals danced. A blue-suited man sang. An old man played several airs
    3 ABW W_fict_prose A B C occasion -- such as the Queen Mother's birthday -- caused the cottage to be decked with red, white and blue bunting. The Post Office was a great centre
    4 ACK W_fict_prose A B C the river to see the villa where they were shown round by the WEA class decked out as praetorian guards and vestal virgins. Now here's Mike with Jilly's
    5 CAB W_fict_prose A B C is a surprise!' He turned to frown her into silence. She was decked out in her Sunday best. A pink pillar-box hat was perched precariously on her
    6 CDY W_fict_prose A B C corner by the range. She was very upright, like a wizened doll, decked out in a bright flowery overall with carpet slippers on her feet. Her hair
    7 CE5 W_fict_prose A B C where Ray Doyle lay in a state somewhere equally between life and death, was decked out like the inside of a spaceship. Wires, screens, machines and consoles
    8 CMP W_fict_prose A B C , dukes, earls, and counts. There were plenipotentiaries in court uniforms so decked with gold that their coats seemed like sheets of light. There were jewelled stars
    9 EFW W_fict_prose A B C still contained any water). The Magistrate, nowadays a mere heap of bones decked with cinnamon whiskers, had summoned a little energy with which to pour scorn on
    10 EWF W_fict_prose A B C : "... beneath whose sable roof Of boughs, as if for festal purpose decked With unrejoicing berries -- ghostly shapes May mee...
    See more here.

The BNC also has a smaller number (38) of the even more archaic bedecked.

b

PS 'I say we' is a colloquial way of making a suggestion.
    PPS There must be an echo in here
    Last edited by BobK; 02-Jan-2014 at 14:17. Reason: Added PS