"I'm out" vs. "I'm off" when logging out of Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgePal

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Happy New Year everybody! All the best!

I've recently had an argument with a friend of mine about the usage of "out" and "off" when logging out of a social networking site like Facebook. I told him the correct way of saying it is "I'm off", but he insisted on "I'm out".
Note its usage with other pronouns (you, he, she, it, we, they) and names (e.g. Bob's off/out).

So, which one do you think is correct and why?

*sorry for posting this in the "Pronunciation" section... my mistake!

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Happy New Year everybody! All the best!

I've recently had an argument with a friend of mine about the usage of "out" and "off" when logging out of a social networking site like Facebook. I told him the correct way of saying it is "I'm off", but he insisted on "I'm out".
Note its usage with other pronouns (you, he, she, it, we, they) and names (e.g. Bob's off/out).

So, which one do you think is correct and why?

Because the English on social forums is informal, I would accept either.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Both forms make sense to me. With new things that require new language, it's often unclear at first which form will become the standard one. Here, you could argue for out because we log out, but equally off makes sense because we say we're off when we leave. Maybe one will come to dominate.

I've moved it.

Y

Yiagos

Off sounds better for me. Because we say turn off your computer, switch off electricity, Anna is offline now and so on.

I am not a teacher.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you describing the status or the action? I would say I was "off" Facebook as a status. But if I am announcing my intention to go offline, I would probably say I was "logging out."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "I'm out!" sounds rude.

"Okay, guys, I'm outta here" is better in terms of rudeness - it just says you've really got to be going.

"I'm off" means (to me) "I'm taking off now." I don't see it as rude.

But I'm old.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I'm out" sounds very odd to me. It sounds as if you are telling the person that you are not currently at home. I would say "I'm logging off now" or "I'm logging out now" or "[Right/OK,] I'm off". The latter is used in the same way it is when we state our intention to depart a location.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Log off" and "log out" have been equivalent since the advent of computer networks. But I think that to say "I'm off facebook or twitter or whatever" means you are not only logging off/out but cancelling or disabling your account. I was off facebook for a while, but now I'm back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.