Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello. I'm trying to improve my speaking skill and recently discovered the expression "I dare say" which I found extremely useful, probably because in my native language there is a similar expression which I use extensively.

Is that expression perceived as old fashioned or too formal?

Thank you! :up:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello. I'm trying to improve my speaking skill and recently discovered the expression "I dare say" which I found extremely useful, probably because in my native language there is a similar expression which I use extensively.

It is old fashioned. Don't bother with it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you for the quick reply. So, is there a synonym for this expression that has the structure "I something (to) say"? I find it so comfortable to introduce an statement with that.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the quick reply. So, is there a synonym for this expression that has the structure "I something (to) say"? I find it so comfortable to introduce an statement with that.

There are many ways to introduce a statement, but this is not a good one these days.

I think
In my opinion
I feel
I say
In my view

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
What about "I venture to say"? I guess is to formal to use it in spoken English, but maybe when writing it's OK. Am I wrong?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What about "I venture to say"? I guess is to formal to use it in spoken English, but maybe when writing it's OK. Am I wrong?

It may cling to life, but barely. My late father used to say it, but he would be 92 if alive today.

What's wrong with "I guess"... whatever proposition"? That is about as standard a phrase as you will find in AmE, and it means I dare to claim. Isn't that what you are looking for? I don't think British people say "I guess" very much, but they still have "I suppose."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I use that expression every couple of months. But if you find it "extremely useful", I dare say you're overusing it badly.
Yes, it's a bit old-fashioned and formal, but that's the sort of language I sometimes use if that's what I really want to say.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I use that expression every couple of months. But if you find it "extremely useful", I dare say you're overusing it badly.
Yes, it's a bit old-fashioned and formal, but that's the sort of language I sometimes use if that's what I really want to say.

It's more a bit old-fashioned than obsolete in BrE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I​ use it once in a while. I wouldn't say it's old-fashioned, just that it seems to have fallen out of favour somewhat. I dare say it'll come back into fashion sometime.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's more a bit old-fashioned than obsolete in BrE.

I understand the difference between obsolete and archaic but I thought Offroad might not, so I used a word I was sure would be clear to him.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I understand the difference between obsolete and archaic but I thought Offroad might not, so I used a word I was sure would be clear to him.

I just meant that it is still used in BrE, but may be a bit dated. It struck me that the situation might be a bit different from AmE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just meant that it is still used in BrE, but may be a bit dated. It struck me that the situation might be a bit different from AmE.

Yes, it is. It has never been common in the US.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It used to be rather more common. The Corpus of Historical American English has 690 citation between 1880 and 1900, as against 13 between 1990 and 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.