Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Fame's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 222
    #1

    Using the article 'a'

    When I want to describe someone, can I say:

    He is a hardworking, and a well-behaved person.

    I am not sure if the second article should be used and also is it wrong to use a comma before 'and'? I have seen it being used in some books.

  2. probus's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 3,458
    #2

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    When I want to describe someone, can I say:

    He is a hardworking, and a well-behaved person.

    I am not sure if the second article should be used and also is it wrong to use a comma before 'and'? I have seen it being used in some books.
    1. He is a hardworking and good person.

    2. He is hardworking, and a good person.

    Those are the natural-sounding choices.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #3

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    I don't think you can say that someone who is well-behaved is the same as a "good" person. I like to think I'm a good person where it counts, but there have been times when I haven't been very well behaved. Well-behaved women rarely make history!

    However, I am 100% in agreement with your article use.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Jan-2014 at 12:49. Reason: typo
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #4

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Interestingly, though, the word "good" is frequently used to mean "well-behaved" when referring to children.

    - Were you a good girl at school today?
    - Yes. I was very good.
    - That's really lovely to hear. I will buy you a present as a reward.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #5

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    When I want to describe someone, can I say:

    He is a hardworking, and a well-behaved person.

    I am not sure if the second article should be used and also is it wrong to use a comma before 'and'? I have seen it being used in some books.
    If this is about an adult, I would use well-mannered instead of well-behaved. Well-behaved is mostly used to describe children.

    You could say "He is a hardworking, well-mannered person" as well as the structures probus has provided.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #6

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    1. He is a hardworking and good person.

    2. He is hardworking, and a good person.

    Those are the natural-sounding choices.
    I was wondering if it is correct to leave out the comma in the above sentence 2, i.e 'He is hardworking and a good person.'

    Thanks.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    I was wondering if it is correct to leave out the comma in the above sentence 2, i.e 'He is hardworking and a good person.'

    Thanks.
    I would use the comma because of the shift from adjective "hardworking" to noun "a good person".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #8

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    If this is about an adult, I would use well-mannered instead of well-behaved. Well-behaved is mostly used to describe children.

    You could say "He is a hardworking, well-mannered person" as well as the structures probus has provided.
    1. He is a hardworking, well-mannered person.
    2. He is a hardworking and well-mannered person.

    Are the above sentences both correct?

    Thanks.

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: Using the article 'a'

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    1. He is a hardworking, well-mannered person.
    2. He is a hardworking and well-mannered person.

    Are the above sentences both correct?

    Thanks.
    Yes.

Similar Threads

  1. Definite article vs no article with a specific example.
    By skelerobo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2012, 02:59
  2. [Grammar] Article Q: elected as/appointed as + no article + position
    By vcolts in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2012, 06:30
  3. [Article] Pls proof read my article
    By tong-pu in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2011, 19:51
  4. [Article] Pls check my article. FCE level
    By tong-pu in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2011, 20:56
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2007, 09:28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •