• Thread starter cookie201
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,640
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cookie201

Hello!

I came across this sentence the other day: "Seeing them now, it's like a miracle." However, would it be correct to say "Seeing them now is like a miracle"? Is the "it's" needed and if so, why? Is it because of the comma? :-? Thanks :-D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

I came across this sentence the other day: "Seeing them now, it's like a miracle." However, would it be correct to say "Seeing them now is like a miracle"? Is the "it's" needed and if so, why? Is it because of the comma? :-? Thanks :-D

Yes, both versions are OK. The "it's" is there because it provides a subject and a verb for the clause.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not same same meaning.

Something "is miraculous." I don't know what. But seeing "them" confirmed how miraculous it was.

In your version, it's the acting of seeing them that is miraculous.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not same same meaning.

Something "is miraculous." I don't know what. But seeing "them" confirmed how miraculous it was.

In your version, it's the acting of seeing them that is miraculous.

In both versions, their just being alive may be the miracle.

C

cookie201

OK! :) Thank you so much for you answers :):-D:-D

Yes, I understand that in my version the act of seeing them is miraculous, and that's exactly what I was trying to say. Still, I don't really understand how the first one is different from my version :-? I think I see the difference, but I'm not very sure. Does something similar happen with these two sentences, for example?

Now it's my turn
Now's my turn

Thank you :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK! :) Thank you so much for you answers :):-D:-D

Yes, I understand that in my version the act of seeing them is miraculous, and that's exactly what I was trying to say. Still, I don't really understand how the first one is different from my version :-? I think I see the difference, but I'm not very sure. Does something similar happen with these two sentences, for example?

Now it's my turn
Now's my turn

Thank you :)

I didn't see much difference in your first examples, and I see no difference in these.

User1291

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
(not a teacher)

Still, I don't really understand how the first one is different from my version
As far as I'm concerned,
"Seeing them now is like a miracle"
can only mean that you did not expect to see them right at the moment of speaking.
Perhaps you thought them dead, perhaps you thought them far away, which is why you are surprised.

Whereas with
"Seeing them now, it's like a miracle",
literally anything could be "like a miracle" and seeing them the way they currently are contradicts an assumption you had previously made.
E.g: "I never thought they would make up. Seeing them now, it's like a miracle."
Here, "it" could - for instance - refer to their having a cup of tea together and not "seeing them" but "seeing them have a cup of tea together" seems like a miracle.

However, I would like to have that confirmed just as much as you do.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
However, I would like to have that confirmed just as much as you do.

These examples are what Barb_D was referring to in her post.

Status
Not open for further replies.