Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,007
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Which/What novel are you reading?

    1. Which novel are you reading, John?
    2. What novel are you reading, John?

    Are there any differences in the above sentences?

    Thanks.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Which/What novel are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    1. Which novel are you reading, John?
    2. What novel are you reading, John?

    Are there any differences in the above sentences?

    Thanks.
    The meaning is basically the same. We usually use "which" when there are limited choices; we use "what" when there are unlimited choices.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,007
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Which/What novel are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The meaning is basically the same. We usually use "which" when there are limited choices; we use "what" when there are unlimited choices.
    Thanks Mike

    Could I ask one more question, please?

    A: Don't forget Sam's birthday?
    B: I won't. Which/What day is it?

    Do Which/What have the same meaning in the above?
    Last edited by Winwin2011; 04-Jan-2014 at 21:49.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Which/What novel are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Thanks Mike

    Could I ask one more question, please.

    A: Don't forget Sam's birthday?
    B: I won't. Which/What day is it?

    Do Which/What have the same meaning in the above?
    Yes they do.

Similar Threads

  1. Reading
    By BrunaBC in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2013, 18:49
  2. Reading and Reading Comprehension
    By kiranlegend in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2008, 20:06
  3. reading
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2007, 08:46
  4. Please help my reading.
    By juliana0403 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2007, 08:47
  5. graded reading materials or authentic reading material?
    By antemeridiem in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Nov-2004, 10:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •