Which is correct?

which is correct:

The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students that have enrolled and were chosen for the virtual courses

or

The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students that have enrolled and have been choosen for the virtual courses

thank you
    Daniel

Re: Which is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by danielkramer
    which is correct:
    The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students that have enrolled and were chosen for the virtual courses
    or
    The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students that have enrolled and have been choosen for the virtual courses
    thank you
    Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I would say: The internet access in those telecenters will be free to students who enrolled and were chosen for the vitual courses.

I have replaced "that" by "who" because "who" refers to the students and students are people. "That" refers to things.
    I don't see why you have to use the Present Perfect here. To my mind, you first enrolled and then you get chosen so this happens in a chronological order and then you can use the Simple Past for both events. If those students get chosen first then you say ... to students who enrolled and had been chosen for the virtual courses.

Cheers

Hi Daniel,
    I go with what Mr Johan came up with.
    good luck dear

Quote Originally Posted by Johan[@CLT]
    I have replaced "that" by "who" because "who" refers to the students and students are people. "That" refers to things.
    Actually, "that" can refer to people. But I agree: "who" is better.

I don't see why you have to use the Present Perfect here. To my mind, you first enrolled and then you get chosen so this happens in a chronological order and then you can use the Simple Past for both events.
    I think the past simple is possible here, but mainly because the spelling of "telecenters" suggests this is American English, and American English tends to avoid the present perfect.

However, the present perfect is still the better choice. The important thing is that the students must be students -- the present perfect "who have enrolled" indicates that although the enrollment took place in the past, the current status of the people who were enrolled is still enrolled. The past simple "who enrolled" would include not just current students, but any person who had ever been enrolled as a student at this institution, even if they are 80.

You could also use the present perfect passive for the next clause -- "and who have been chosen...", but it's not necessary. It depends if you think there is such a thing as a status of "chosen", or if the choosing process is a single event which is now complete and the students' status is "on a virtual course".

"The internet access in those telecenters will be free to students who have enrolled and were/have been chosen for the vitual courses."

But what is a "virtual course"? To me it sounds like a course that almost exists, but not quite.

Hello, everyone, thank you for the answers, so, if got it correct, one is better than the other, however, both are grammatically correct.

The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students who have enrolled and were chosen for the virtual courses

or

The Internet access in those telecenters will be free to students who have enrolled and have been chosen for the virtual courses

Moreover, if I start off with the present perfect, (have enrolled) I do not necessarily have to end with it (were)

Is this right?

Sorry for being such a pain, but this really drives me crazy

Thanks Again
    Daniel