[Essay] How to improve English Speaking Skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am a third year student in English major but until now, I have not spoken English fluently yet. Eventhough I tried any methods I could try, I can not make a progress. I see that my teachers and my friends are able to speak English so well and easily. I understand What they says, even found that They use very simple words to make complete sentences. I also know those words but I can not make an complete sentence like them. i really need a help and instructions to improve English Speaking Skill. Would anyone help me, please? thanks a lot!!!! Loc,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What's holding you back? If you can get to the bottom of that problem, you might find it easier. Many people, for example, worry about making mistakes when speaking, and this can hold them back- people who worry less about making mistakes and concentrate on trying to get their message across can often progress faster.

Do you talk to yourself? Many people do this as a way of building up their confidence and fluency. What opportunities do you have to speak?

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank for all your time and trouble you have taken to give me advice. It's so interesting and useful. You know, I do not know what has been holding me back. That's reason that until now i am not still able to speak English fluently. However, I often worry about making mistakes in front of the crowd. But I think that is not a main reason because I can practice speaking by myself. Bui it seems not to be improving as well. I have a quite good condition to practice speaking. Can you show me how to use it properly to get success. Thankyou so much!
Regards,
Loc,:lol::lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your written English is good, so there has to be a way to use your knowledge when speaking. Do you listen to much English?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I'm an English learner like you. I'd suggest you talking to yourself and listening to English as much as possible. There are several WEB pages like TED: Ideas worth spreading , YouTube where you can listen to English during all day. Furthermore, I'd suggest you finding pen-pals. It doesn't matter whether they're native speakers or not. I'm sure that if you're an English admirer like me, you'll improve your speaking skills. Just keep practising and you'll see the result.

Last edited:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello.

I'm an English learner like you. I'd suggest you talking to yourself and listening English as much as possible. There are several WEB pages like TED: Ideas worth spreading , YouTube where you can listen to English during all day. Furthermore, I'd suggest you finding pen-pals. It doesn't matter whether they're native speakers or not. I'm sure that if you're an English admirer like me, you'll improve your speaking skills. Just keep practising and you'll see the result.
Why has it written 'listening English' in the above quotation while I learned from ems that we should add to, please?

Remember that it's "listen to something".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why has it written 'listening English' in the above quotation while I learned from ems that we should add to, please?

I am pretty sure Boris is a "he" and not an "it."

He has made an error. He is not a teacher or a native speaker, so you should not expect perfection.

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Tdol!
Yes, I am. I often practice listening English whenever I have free time. But it sounds like it does not make me improve my speaking skill!

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Boris!
Thanks so much for your useful advice! I will try to listen more and more. I hope I can do it! But when we listen, should we take note the common phrases or just listen a cartain track many times until you feel you can know something, Boris? Thanks!

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Odessa and SoothingDave!
You are so interesting! your advice for Boris is so usefull. it also help me so much! but What do you think about my problem?
Regards,

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's funny but when I opened this thread and read my post again I wanted to correct that mistake. You were a little bit faster than me :-D.
It was a typo, but thanks anyway.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm quite sure that your problem is a shortage of experience.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank for all your time and trouble you have taken to give me advice. It's so interesting and useful. You know, I do not know what has been holding me back. That's reason that until now i am not still able to speak English fluently. However, I often worry about making mistakes in front of the crowd. But I think that is not a main reason because I can practice speaking by myself. Bui it seems not to be improving as well. I have a quite good condition to practice speaking. Can you show me how to use it properly to get success. Thankyou so much!
Regards,
Loc,:lol::lol:

How are you at speaking in front of a crowd in your native language?

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
How are you at speaking in front of a crowd in your native language?

You know, I'm so nervous and embarrassed when standing infront of the crowd. I often make mistake more than I speak alone and I do not know why I alway make implicated sentences which does not make me speak well. Therefore, I am alway afraid of speaking in front of the crowd! Can you hep me?

tanloc1249

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"How are you at speaking in front of a crowd in your native language?"

It's better when I speak my native language in front of a crowd. But with English, I have to think a lot, it's so hard to speak fluently

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When you're talking in the front of a crowd it doesn't mean that you have to speak fluently. In my opinion, to articulate is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.