Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 128
    #1

    future tense

    Hello, everyone
    Please tell me if the following sentences mean the same. Thank you.

    Students don't go to school this Friday.
    Students won't go to school this Friday.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #2

    Re: future tense

    Yes and no- they could mean the same, but the second could, for example, mean that they are refusing to go to school this Friday.

  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,809
    #3

    Re: future tense

    Do you mean they are refusing but may change their mind later?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #4

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    Do you mean they are refusing but may change their mind later?
    The language just says that they are refusing. Of course, logic tells us that anyone who makes up his mind can always change it later.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #5

    Re: future tense

    Is the following sentence natural?

    Students need not go to school this Friday. (Because it's a public holiday.)

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #6

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Is the following sentence natural?

    Students need not go to school this Friday. (Because it's a public holiday.)

    Thanks.
    Yes, but "students don't need to go to school" is more natural.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,462
    #7

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Is the following sentence natural?

    Students need not go to school this Friday. (Because it's a public holiday.)
    It's not very natural. It implies that they may go if they wish to. There wouldn't be much point, as there would definitely be no teachers there.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #8

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    It's not very natural. It implies that they may go if they wish to. There wouldn't be much point, as there would definitely be no teachers there.
    Which of the following sentences is natural?

    1. Teacher : Children, there's no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.
    2. Teacher : Children, there'll be no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.

    Thanks.

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,809
    #9

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    1. Teacher : Children, there's no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.
    2. Teacher : Children, there'll be no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.
    I guess the future tense "will" is correct.
    Should "lesson" be used instead of "school"?

    Not a teacher.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: future tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Which of the following sentences is natural?

    1. Teacher : Children, there's no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.
    2. Teacher : Children, there'll be no school tormorrow because it is public holiday.

    Thanks.
    They are equivalent for me. But the word is "tomorrow".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. future perfect tense and future tense
    By ridvann in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2011, 01:11
  2. Future perfect tense VS future tense
    By redgiant in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 14:26
  3. present tense & future tense
    By SEA in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2008, 02:24
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2007, 20:23
  5. Future continuous v/s Future pefect tense
    By j_p in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2005, 07:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •